1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Perfectly Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by threshar, Apr 30, 2010.

1. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    I guess I've had a case of anti-gas for about a year now.

While it may go against everything TB stands for, I am going to say that I am perfectly content with my sound and my gear. Each time I play I say "Ahh... just the way I want it".

Anybody else in this camp?

for the record - my magic elixir is a warwick vette std 5 -> aphex punch factory -> sansamp progdi -> little mark2 -> markbass 6x10

Got the vette for rather cheap and spent a bit of time & money fixing it up. I actually vastly prefer it to my Roscoe which I'm probably going to sell one of these days..

2. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    I had anti-gas for months before joining here. Then I was infected and everytime I see something I like... Its so hard to get on here every day or so and not be jealous of someone elses gear.

3. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    threshar,

what did you do to fix up your vette?

4. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    I only get GAS when I find a really good deal. Other than that, I'm good to go.

5. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    This.

:crying:

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I need a 5-string fretless. Then I will be content.

At least until I come up with something else I want.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I am fairly content - after years of revolving door gear. I don't have the most high end of stuff, but it seems to work for me and I always go back to it after trying the high end stuff I'm supposed to like better.

I have one bass (after I sell my Rob Allen) that I use for everything. A Yamaha BB605 modded with Bartolini electronics. My amp is a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12T combo. I use a Korg CA-30 tuner attached to the amp (velcro) via the tuner out.

While I would like some kind of upright substitute for my jazz quartet, we do enough non-traditional jazz that I can get by without it. The only time I rally miss it is when we do standards or ballads.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1. I am exactly the same.

Unfortunately this is why I own too many basses, amps, cabs, effects, clothes, shoes, golf clubs, watches, etc.:bag:

9. ddshelden

ddshelden

Oct 31, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I am content with my gear, and i really didn't expect to be. I decided a year or so ago to get back into playing bass. I had my heart set on 62 RI P bass, and a walkabout scout. Then I find out my wife is pregnant. Needless to say plans changed. I got new Squier CV 60's p for $300, strung it up with Labella flats,and got a used American made Ampeg B-100r for $250. Absolutely love it.

10. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    The vette hadn't been taken care of in a long while.

I had to air it out (it smelled like cigs) for a bit.
    then an oil treatment followed by some warwick wax - this brought the life back to the bubinga body.

the frets somehow had some kind of heavy crud buildup - cleaned those (I may get a refret someday, some of the frets are in tough shape, but no dead spots, buzzing, etc so it is a low priority).

replaced the missing knob(s)
    replaced the input jack

gave it a setup (amazingly, the setup was still pretty good when I got it given how bad it had been taken care of).

Yeah, I get tempted by those deals or the latest whizbang thing discussed here. Sometimes it takes a lot to remind myself I don't need that junk.

11. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    I need a cheap 5 string as a backup/show playing bass so I can leave my Warwick at home and a cab because I don't have one at the moment, but once I get those two things I"ll be content with my setup

12. Sadly I went through a period like this only a couple weeks ago. I felt content and had no more GAS.

Just a couple days ago I looked back and realized that I'm not playing as much bass as I did even a month ago, and I think having GAS actually made me play more and be more interested in bass, in general.

Perhaps as Andy Warhol said I am a deeply superficial person. :bawl:

13. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    For the most part, not a lot of gas. I've settled on my basses and gear. I am adding an IP310 to the stable but I've wanted one of those for 4 years now, so it's an old itch that I'm scratching.

14. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Q: How many basses does a bassist REALLY need?

A: Just... one... more...

15. Kipaste

Kipaste

Jun 27, 2006
    Helsinki, Finland
    It's a lovely feeling.

I recently sold my sadowsky and was feeling a bit insecure and a bit too wealthy, so I decided to spend a day going through all the music stores. I found many basses that I had a lot of fun playing. Then I came back home, picked up my modded fender MM jazz (that turned out be a sadowsky killer) and realized that I like it a helluva lot more than anything I laid my hands on that day.

But I admit, if the 6 string offerings over here weren't so mediocre, it would've most likely been a NBD..

But since I'm a firm believer in spending my money before it runs out, I'll probably buy something stupid pretty soon and end up selling it a month later. Maybe this is the time to pick up saxophone? Or violin? Maybe my apartment really needs a drum set, that would get some life to the annoying amphetamine crazed sob downstairs. Or maybe...