1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Perfectly Pointless Pickguard Poll

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dxb, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Immediately!

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Exactly one second after the return window ends

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  3. After I've forgotten all about it, then one day I notice it again and it annoys me

6 vote(s)
    14.0%
  4. Once age and sunlight have melted it into the plastic, then I spend hours trying to scrape it off

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I can't, it might be holding the bass together

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. When I have time to disassemble the bass because I'm OCD and don't want any little bits left behind

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  7. I can't, it will free the evil spirits trapped within and my basslines depend on their dark energy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Never! Something something resale value! Something something tone!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Pickguards come with plastic film on them?

8 vote(s)
    18.6%
  1. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    When you get a new bass, at what point do you remove the clear protective film that covers the pickguard? Right away? Never? Only on the equinox? Something about demons? Several options are provided but feel free to cast your own line into this vast ocean of mundane possibilities.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Never. It might be holding all the tort pieces in place.

dxb likes this.
  3. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

pointlessness is our friend, here! :)

but don't throw the films away: great for covering those bowls of left-over green beans!

guitarflinger and dxb like this.
  4. Only if I notice that there actually is a film there.

Some I've had where I didn't know there was one until it started peeling up months later.

dxb likes this.
  5. I peel it off immediately, but I'm too lazy to remove the screws and pots to get the bits out from underneath.

Oddly and dxb like this.
  6. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Boo. How do I end up buying all of your used gear?

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I have one bass that has a pickguard. I built the bass, and modified the shape of it; the film was off before it got mounted to the bass.

dxb likes this.
  8. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    I want to keep mine on to protect the guard? but it is an itch I cannot resist and rip that sucker off like a Band-Aid

dxb likes this.
  9. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    I bought my G&L second hand, and 15 years old. The plastic was on it, and stuck down like crazy glue. I peeled it of one tiny piece at a time, and it left behind a residue that has no known solvent. It's still there.

dxb likes this.
  10. I make a point to buy instruments w/o pickguards.

tlc1976 and dxb like this.
  11. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    But peeling off the plastic is the best part of buying a new bass. Its right up there with new car smell and popping the seal on a Pringles can. :thumbsup:

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  12. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Sounds like a scenario 4 (in the poll).

13. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    I don't recall ever buying a brand new bass, or a used bass with plastic film on the pickguard - or any other part. And I've bought more than a few over the years.

dxb likes this.
  14. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    That's weird. The Mustang I just bought had plastic over the pickguard, the pickups, and little plastic baggies over the tuning keys. I bought it online though. If it were on display in a store I think they might peel some of that stuff off.

15. the_home

the_home Gold Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    It's not the film I don't buy, it's the 'new'. I let someone else pay for the 'new', then a little while later I buy the bass. The original owner often ends up paying a lot for the 'new'.

16. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    Not just a pickguard, but any new device with protective plastic over it. I remove it once I know I'm keeping it. But then it's too new and lone fingerprints just don't sit right. So I must immediately plaster the thing with finger prints and smears, then hand polish them relatively smooth. So then it's "broken in" along with the rest of the finish.

But I also prefer woodgrain instruments without pickguards.