1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Perfectly vertical body join

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ble_rush, Apr 21, 2006.

1. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    Is there a reason why the join for a body made from two pieces of wood have to be in the middle of the body and vertical ?

Could it be somehow in diagonal?
    Could that affect the final instrument quality in some way?

Any comment will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    Here it is a pic attached of what I'm writing about...

attachment.

Any comments please.

Thanks

Attached Files:

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Looks to me that you could line up that grain with some slight design modifications.:D

4. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    Yes, I think that could do the trick :)
    But I just wonder if the join line should be always in the center of a body... if there is some sound or performance related reason to avoid something like this.

5. brandinstroy

brandinstroy Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I Support the following: Fodera, Noble Amps, JHAudio, Trickfish Amplification
    I believe that it would not be an issue. I think the main reason for the joint in the middle is cost and availability of wood. Also it helps line up everything. but other than that i dont think it will have any effect on tone or quality. you are just making a block to cut out a shape with.

6. ble_rush

ble_rush

Jun 13, 2001
    Mty, México
    Thanks stroy05 !
    ... for some reason I just needed to hear that :D

7. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    HI,
    I'd say that the bodies are made like this because when they are end-matched, the grain t the end is equal and opposite so theoretically(sp) it should help prevent any distortions in the body. Also I wold just be careful about your center line because the seam of a body is the center line also. As long as you don't forget to always make sure that your center line is there I dont see what problem there would be.

8. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    Aside from the center line thing, you could potentially end up having the a glue line separating the piece where the strings are anchored with the rest of the bass. Whether or not that makes any difference in tone is questionable but it looks like you'll be fine in this case anyway.