1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Performance Boosters for my 327 AMC?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyAxe, Jun 24, 2014.

1. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    Hey there! I'm just wondering if anyone knows how I could add a little oomph to my AMC 327 from my Marlin. Preferably simpler stuff or things that I could get done at a shop somewhere pretty easily.
    Thanks

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Rocket fuel.

3. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    Dangle a carrot a few feet in front of the grill. Give it some incentive, man.

4. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Matching 401k.

5. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Always drive down hill ...

Captain Chaos likes this.
  6. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Make it breathe better and it will go faster.

You haven't written anything about what, if anything, has been modified so far. Do that, or we'll be wasting our time by coming up with things that it already has. Also, we need to know its present condition and health.

7. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Just a short sweet check list and a few thoughts to think about.

As was mentioned, breathing can help an engine open up. To that end you'll more than likely NEED to do a valve job if you want to get away from gas adders. Hardened vavle seats will allow you to run unleaded gas without issue. The real issue is going to be that block and crank. The AMC 327 was the first v8 amc did in house and it was not that successful. I would stick with very modest upgrades as that motor is collectable. Headers, intake manifold ( keep the old one ), a newer holly ( they came with holleys already ... but they leaked like a siv :) ) I wouldn't bother with a cam unless it needs one. The best way to power and gas mileage is always more compression but again, that block isn't the best platform for that venue.

Clark Dark likes this.
  8. This ^

Pretty much every naturally aspiration engine can benefit from the same modifications. However, it's not just about horsepower or torque. A lot of how a car performs is related to gearing and how that energy is delivered.

9. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    That's why I commented on the lack of info. If he wants to climb hills with it AND accelerate, he'll need a lot of torque. However, it's not really a wind-up engine, so the need for proper gearing is almost assumed. Then, there's the issue of how to get it to stop- old cars had such crappy brakes....

I know someone who stuffed a 350 into his Gremlin, then added nitrous.

10. Funky Ghost

440 into a 65 Dart here... I learned a lot with that first hot rod.

11. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Gull wing doors.

12. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Turbocharged Hayabusa engine.

DSC00228.
    700hp should be ok.

13. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Headers! But room for them may be scarce. A Roller Cam would be nice given the lack of Zinc in fuel. A nice Edelbrock 600 Carb (I hate Holley's). One sure fire way to open it up is the put some 411 gears in the Rear end.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Funky Ghost likes this.
  14. Funky Ghost

You a Carter guy? :)

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    DSC00496.
    DSC00014. DSC_0217.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  16. HeavyAxe

HeavyAxe

Jul 16, 2013
    Alberta, Canada
    The engine was just recently redone. All bare bones stock. Its been bored out and thats the only real 'modification. We're throwin the Holley carb in the trash because its just causing problems and are going to replace it with a Edelbrock. But yes, its in mint condition, no problems other than the carb right now.

17. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Pictures please. Too bad it is not an AMX.

18. Funky Ghost

What year is the Marlin? I actually like the styling of them. The 65 is a bit of a boat but killer old school fast back design. Like a Barracuda and a Bonnevilles love child.

19. Well then, as previously mentioned, the easiest benefits will come from allowing the engine to breathe better. At it's core, your engine is really just a big air pump. Restricting intake, exhaust, or both, hinders the performance. I'm not overly familiar with what is available for AMC, but most mild mods start with dumping the exhaust manifolds and going with headers of some sort and a more free-flowing exhaust. Then improvements in the intake manifold and carb will yield even more results. I've always been one to not favor carb oversizing. If the car has a 2bbl intake manifold, conversion to a 4 bbl will help, as well. For those relatively stock small V-8's I've always favored Holley carbs in the 600 CFM range.

The big thing is, you can do all of these things and the performance will be increased....slightly. But not enough to "transform" the engine. To get more serious power increases you almost always need to get into compression and valve/head work, including camshafts and internal engine work. But if you want to stay with simple bolt-on's that have some impact, the best bang for the buck is usually exhaust and intake work. If the car has a breaker point ignition, upgrading to an electronic ignition (if it's available) is also usually a good move as it can help out as well, it's more reliable and generally hotter than most point ignitions.

20. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    LS Engine or a Gen III Hemi swap