performance stools.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by brutuscheezcake, Mar 6, 2005.

1. brutuscheezcake

brutuscheezcake Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

so in my endless search for the perfect gigging setup, i need to ask about yet another piece of gear that not many reflect upon often. our best friend, the stool.

i have determined that i am a sitter. i have my $9 hardware store stool that just works the charm so far... well up until now. of course i have developed a crack in the top making it unsuitable.

before i go out and blow another buck on a stool, i thought i would get opinions and find out if there is a good solution for us.

anyone got any good stool solutions for me?

the criterion of merit as far as i am concerned is weight. i get out alot and every ounce counts over the long haul.

any thoughts or solutions? i dont need it for air, just local intown gigs.

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001

When I was in my sitting phase, I used a wooden stool, likely much like the one that you have, that I got a KMart. It was padded, though, which was nice. I also found a drum throne that would extend far enough to work, but the problem with that was that there wasn't a comfortable place to put the left foot. I could probably have had something welded, but instead got one of those foot rests that classical guitar players (intentional dig) use.
  3. Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The Double Trolley ???
    I don't know if it's comfortable, but it shure seems very handy.
  4. You are a brave man to post a thread title like this around here.

Lemur Music offers a couple of pretty nice ones if you have an appropriate budget. I once used a stool almost identical to the more expensive lemur stool and it was extremely comfortable. I am currently saving to buy one of these or something similar.
  5. EFischer1

EFischer1 Guest

Mar 17, 2002
    New York, New York
    Concert Design stools. I own one, its amazing. Some of the guys in the BSO and many of the guys in the RPO use them. Spend the extra cash, its perfect.
  6. brutuscheezcake

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

i really liked the concertdesign stuff and might get one for the house. however the collapsible one at lemur musics online store folds up and that might be a deal closer! i am mister portability, after years of lugging sh** all over creation and back.

i grabbed the URL rather than just heist the image. i hope it works!

if not, under the online store under accessorries under performance accessories, ergo chair

i think i like it. i did a search of 12 pages of stools but none were portable as well. none folded up as i remember.

as far as the jokes go, i had originally titled my post "stool samples", but mrs. cheezcake suggested i tone it down (NPI) elsewise be prepared for the ineveitable OT flame wares that i would start.

nope, not here. i never do that kind of thing.

until next time,

Ray, i am already so tight, i squeak when i walk.

yer bud,

7. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    So, Simon, did you buy this stool?

I'm considering it myself and could use some feedback - it's not a bad price for a stool, but $129 is still too much to be wasting if the products not so good.

8. I've always used one of those real tall metal office stools. One problem I had at first, was getting the bass close to the stool.....there's a metal foot rest that circles the stool. I cut enough of that metal support off with a hacksaw....just enough to let in part of the lower bout rib. It's always worked perfectly. Oh, I also put a rubber crutch tip on the rough edge that I sawed off to protect the bass.
  9. Hello brutuscheezcake,
    I used one of the Quik Lok Stools with the Back rest "that Was`t needed" and one day I walked into a Music Store and I found my Stool.

This is by far the most comfortable Stool I`ve owned. Its not near as heavy as the Quik Lok but I will say it is a little more than the Wood Stools. I have not Posted in some time but I ran across your Topic and thought you should take it into consideration. It cost me $129.99 if I remember right and you can buy a Back rest but I saw no need. Good Luck....

10. brutuscheezcake

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

so i bought the stool. its a good stool but not a great stool. i do use it on gigs, but not all gigs.

its ultra portable vs my old wooden stool with its leather pillow bungied on top. it fits in my gigmobile like a charm. its black, which is a plus to me. lightweight and of good construction...

while the seat slides up and down on a set of rubber baby buggy bumpers which hold it at your desired height for the most part, the seat area slides a little lower over time. you cant notch it into place, you can only hold it in place. it doesnt lock into a height position. so... if you are the type that bounces around a fair amount while playing you will find yourself having to adjust your seat back up every other tune.

as i mentioned, i still gig with it, just not every gig. i have a reading gig this afternoon with a vocalist. i know i will have my face buried in the music and be far too absorbed. and no solos. perfect! i wont be slammin' away on this one. the seat will stay in position just fine. HOWEVER on friday nights though i have a regular standards and bop kinda gig at a local place with a guitarist and vibes. that means a solo every tune. time for my old POS wooden stool with a bound cushion on top. i tend to bounce around alot when i solo.

i am still thinking that the perfect foldable has to be out there somewhere.

anybody else?

11. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    I think this is the perfect folding stool. At least for me. 30" high, simple, comfortable, light weight. Unfortunately I don't know where to get it - my wife found it at some Manhattan liquidators that was going out of business (paid all of $12.00 for it!), and I haven't seen anything like it since.

What about a drummers throne? Something like this this? It adjusts to 30". But then you'd have to take those directed at drummers jokes too. :p
  12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ET TU, MOUSSE? - the problem with the folding stands is that they don't have the rungs in the same place as a regular wooden barstool. I've searched many times for one that does and never found it. That being the case, the ones at Target are VERY sturdy and solid feeling on the gig, and if you buy two of the padded covers, you can feel like a king while playing indeed. I have one of the folding ones like SKATING RINK linked, and while it's better than nothing, I always have the same two problems with it:

1) can't figure out where to put my feet.

2) If you really get into it, they threaten to tip over (at least when I've used them - of course, someone more coordinated than myself may well not have this problem).

Still watching this thread, though, hoping somebody finds the holy grail. :)
  13. brutuscheezcake

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    ahhh... like a breath of fresh air as the PIZZ helps me out....

ya know, tonite i used the lemur stool to great sucess (sp?) over a 3 set gig and it fits in the gigmobile like a charm. there is the provided foot rest at a low height which works well for me. its not where my wooden jobbie is at, but it seems to work well none the less. did the seat pad slide down any? yah. a 2 to 3 song go b4 i yanked it up again. i did what? again? how am i going to explain this?

yo Bud Rink, for one i dig your seat (oh boy, did i just say that out loud?). simple and well padded, but your dw suggestion bears serious studying. it looks like a sturdy solution and transportable as well.

the throne approach might actually work based on finding the lightest solution. I WILL INVESTIGATE AND REPORT BACK! as soon as i find my caps lock key again.

my other looksee would be towards a standard 4 legged stool design of a composite material that i could break down like my plastic peterson music stand and then put in a bag or somesuch

of course, that still leaves the problem of a foot rest. i for one need that kinda thing.

has anyone seen a composite or metal bar stool that breaks down for transport?

14. Bud Rink

Bud Rink

May 5, 2000
    NYC, USA
    Everyone knows your feet are supposed to be on the floor, loudly stomping out time. Didn't your teacher teach you anything??? :p

Well-defined footrests are a portability trade-off, mine find their way to those crossmembers eventually. We should all put our heads together and design the ultimate portable, lightweight, comfortable DB stool. Despite those cart/transporter/stool contraptions, it's not out there.
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My teacher sits on a barstool. :)

I know what you mean about the first part. When I sit on my office stool (like yours), I end up with my feet perched on the legs of the stool right after they cross together; probably this is why I am off balance. I think that the ultimate folding stool design would probably be triangular, so that you could have cross members in roughly the same place as you do with a regular barstool, with the bass sitting right at the "front point" of the triangle. The trick would be figuring out how to collapse the back side in such a way that it would be easy to take apart, but still sturdy when assembled.
  16. brutuscheezcake

Nov 8, 2003
    Bodega Bay
    hey guys!

i am thinking 4 legged bar stool where you screw the legs into the padded top, maybe holes at about a foot (i am just guessing) so you could put in a cross member on at least two sides fro the foot rest

something of super lightweight metal or heavy duty plastic, perhaps even mother-of-jetfighter composite.

fits in a custom mooradian bag (black, of course) with a shoulder strap included

any color you want as long as its black

on sale!

OK so how do we source this puppy?

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    I was doing a search on stools, and found this oldish thread. Looked at all the posts, and checked out the links. And then, along comes good old DONOSAUR, with his brevity function fully engaged. F***in' brilliant. So crazy, it just might work.

I've been a stander and I've been a sitter, I like 'em both. But I don't like carrying extra stuff around. So maybe I'd be well served to stop looking for stools, and spend some time with proper posture, and some money on some good shoes.

Not that anyone asked for my opinion:rolleyes:
  18. You're aware that my brevity has been described elsewhere as "almost trolling"?
    Personal preference aside, my observation is that dysfunctional use of the spine is more often seen among sitters
  19. I had that ergonomic folding stool for a few years. It falls apart after a year or so of heavy use. Now I have the Concert Design gig molto stool, and it's just about perfect. It's a ton of money, but if you can afford it it's worth it.