1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Performer or Player series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4 Strings Only, May 10, 2019.

1. 4 Strings Only

4 Strings Only

Aug 14, 2017
    Looking to pick up a new P Bass. (I’m a Fender Guy). The Performer Series is about $525 more than the Player series. Is the extra pick up and “made in America” stamp worth that much more?

HD007 likes this.
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I own a MIM Mustang and a Performer Mustang.

I defy anybody to tell me which was made where if they didn't know the basses. Neck joint is even a lot more solid on the MIM.

That being said, I'm not a P bass guy and need the versatility of a 2nd pickup on all my basses.

Sorry I was of no help at all :).

3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    That's an entirely subjective question. Is it worth that much more to you?

SirMjac28 and mattbass6945 like this.
  4. Well, the Yosemite pup costs about $150 and the neck plate cost about 20 bucks, so you could probably get the player P and mod the heck out of it. Modding the player P could make it play better than the performer for less cash to be honest.

scottm, Evanforbass and Malak the Mad like this.
  5. 92aceshigh

92aceshigh

Feb 11, 2017
    Brighton, UK
    Only one that can decide that is you OP. Try both, pick which ever one feels better to you. Just because the Performer is made in the US is no guarantee it will be better build. Every bass is an individual and should be judged as such.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    kobass, Jinobass1 and jd56hawk like this.
  6. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I haven’t had a chance to try one, but a pro-player I know said the Yosemite pickups are something special.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Not to me.
    How about you?

alack likes this.
  8. ruju

ruju

Dec 9, 2017
    Ontario,Canada
    I think really it comes down more to colour options, and pickup configuration. Either way, I think you'll be happy.

9. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    It all depends on what you are looking for in a new P bass.

Player - Made in Mexico. 7 colors, 3 of which you can choose between maple and pau ferro fretboard. The rest of the colors have one or the other, not both fretboard types available. Only 1 pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone. About as traditional as you can get, really. Tuners are the same that they have used on the standard MiM series basses for years. No gig bag or case.

Performer - Made in US. 4 colors, 2 specific to maple fretboards (1 of which is satin) and 2 specific to rosewood fretboards. Has 2 pickups, 2 volumes, 1 tone. Different pickups from other Fenders, and with these new pickups you have hit and miss, I've heard some say they are fantastic, others say they are terrible. USA tuners with the tapered shafts, satin finish on the back of the neck. Fairly standard bridge. Comes with cheap gig bag.

Best thing would be to weigh those options, and try both out. You'll more than likely spend less on the Player, even if you upgrade some of the hardware and/or pickups, and would make a great traditional P bass. But if you want something a little different, give the Performer a try.

SirMjac28 and JDMcDorce like this.
  10. PockySteve

PockySteve Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2018
    Pennsylvania USA
    I have played both and I don't think there is $525 more value in the Performer unless you really love the copper color one, which is really cool looking.
    Honestly, instead of the Performer, take a look at the new Duff McKagan P bass. Is the same price and is much nicer IMO. Hotter Duncan J pickup, comes with Hipshot drop D tuner, and has great style. That is the only $1200 P Bass that interests me. Otherwise I would be very happy with a $675 Player - feels and sounds great, especially the Tidepool color. Pictures don't do it justice. It's Beautiful in person.

11. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    Yeah, these look like a great option. I'm not familiar with Duff's playing other than on the obvious couple of hit songs, but he seems to have come up with a nice combination of features for this bass.

12. No. another brand may be the ticket.

13. I played both at a shop in Peoria last week, and I loved both. I was really impressed by the sound of the Player bass. Buttercream/maple. Outstanding sound. The Performer sounded great but the neck felt better than the Player’s neck. No wrong answer, in my opinion. Neither one comes with a case, which sucks.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Does the American Performer's neck have the Posiflex graphite reinforcement rods? I'm not seeing anything about them in the specifications, but I think it's possible since they're sporting MIA necks. Then again, if they were included, wouldn't Fender be touting that as a special enhancement over the MIM Players?

If the Performers do indeed have the Posiflex rods, I could see that additional stability as a positive selling point.

15. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Is the MIM P bass worth twice the price of the Squier CV 60s P bass just because of the Fender logo?

The Performer has different pickups and the greasebucket tone circuit. Sounds way different than the Player.

16. Bassicx

Bassicx

Apr 8, 2019
    If you're not going maple fretboard then it has to be a performer as I've not seen a pau ferro fretboard I like.

In terms of build quality, the player will be fine, but then so would pretty much any bass really. If you're buying new get out to a well stocked shop and pick out your favourite, it will help to offset any GAS knowing you picked the best bass in the place.

17. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    or just about any boutique P replacement.. Lollar, Fralin, Novak..

18. Evanforbass

Evanforbass

Feb 3, 2016
    Denver, CO
    there are other options in your price range.. lot of people seem to like the road worn 50's and other 50's series models

19. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Just try them and go with the one you like better.

20. ThingsAbove

ThingsAbove

Jul 11, 2011
    Buy both at Guitar Center and return the one you like less within 45 days. They have the easiest return policy I've ever dealt with.

Phil60, rockdoc11 and PockySteve like this.