1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Performer or Player series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4 Strings Only, May 10, 2019.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Still love my player, especially because I changed the neck, tuners and pickup to parts of my own spec that fender doesn't offer. That said, if I played a Performer that really "had it," I'd buy it. But the Performers are generally heavier, therefore I don't look at them.

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Heavier than what? My Performer is 8 Lb 10 oz and every other one Sweetwater had at the time was right in that range. In fact, after a quick scan of Sweetwater's inventory again, the heaviest basses they had between the Players and the Performers were the Players.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 10:03 AM
  3. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    My player was 8lb 3 when I bought it, it's now under 8lbs. Most Performers I see approach 9 lbs.

Iofflight likes this.
  4. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    My Performer Jazz is the lightest bass I own. I haven't put it on a scale yet, but it's noticeably lighter than my Precision Deluxe, which is 8lbs 8oz.

5. Iofflight

Iofflight Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2018
    What did you add to yours? I’m doing the same thing..

6. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Mighty Mite Rosewood Jazz neck, Gotoh lightweight tuners, Fender "original" ( ie, '62) pickup.

Iofflight likes this.
  7. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    I got a rosewood neck too and lollars. How do you like the 62s vs the original that was in there? (By the way are the 62s used in the custom shop p bass?)

bdplaid likes this.
  8. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    I don’t think it is - plus you get the grease bucket, which I really don’t like on a P bass.

9. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    The stock Player pickups i think are very good, almost like a '62. I tried some CS 62s I had laying around, They were OK, but my fave p bass pickup is the one labelled Fender "Original" P bass pickup. Its the cheaper one, like $80 or something like that. To my ear, they have the right amount of pop, which is what I'm after.

10. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    These:

https://www.amazon.com/Fender-Preci...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0002KZB0W

11. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I haven't read the whole thread but I say that you should consider the Vintera Precision 50. It's cheaper than the Performer and sounds amazing. I tried one today and I was honestly quite impressed with it. It was one of the best precisions that I've ever played.

12. bdplaid

Aug 31, 2007
    Just wanted to mention that I believe the Vintera has a 7.25 inch radius fretboard, which may make a difference. I know it's a deal breaker for me.

Iofflight likes this.
  13. Iofflight

Jan 21, 2018
    It's why I didn't go for the Nate Mendel either. I wanted a straight P with a 9 or higher radius.

bdplaid likes this.