1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Performing Portrait of Tracy

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fcleff, Jan 3, 2012.

1. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    While I have never performed Portrait of Tracy live I have been thinking about it lately. I have spoken with many other bassists who think along the lines of "hallowed ground" and would never perform this piece note for note in a live situation. I must admit that I have thought along those lines in the past.

Now, in my more advanced years (as a human and a bassist) and after many years of study in the classical genre, I have been thinking differently. Many pieces are performed classically (Bach, Vivaldi, Bottesini, etc.) note for note but with varying degrees of interpretation. I don't see why Portrait should be treated any differently. I feel that Jaco's music has reached that point of diefication.

I'm just wondering what other bassists are thinking about this topic. Or are they even thinkin about it at all? Would you perform Portrait of Tracy live, treating it as a recital of sorts?

f

2. GeoffT

GeoffT

Aug 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Deification? Really? Maybe in a serious music school or a large group of bass players.

You mention performing it at a recital, IMO the purpose of a recital is to "show off your chops" to friends. family, and other music students/teachers. In that context, it could work if you do it well but I am not one of the Jaco worshippers. In any other context, which would be about performing things for the audience to enjoy, I don't think it would get more than a lukewarm reception, except from the people I mentioned in the recital audience.

3. anonymous111813

anonymous111813 Guest

Mar 1, 2011
    I have played this piece on my college auditions, and it was a good choice (it worked for me at least).

But this is a special case.

You have to play something that fits into the context of your performance.

4. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    It is just too complex for 90% of people, if you,re going to do it in a bar well ... at your own peril !

But I did it at school too and it was perfect fit.