1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Performing under the influence!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by cubinicano, May 19, 2011.

1. cubinicano

cubinicano

Jul 28, 2009
    Miami, Fl
    So I wonder how many of you on TB have performed under the influence of any substance? I wonder cuz I recently performed really drunk and it was a treat performance lol .. And I have the video to back or up too lol .. So let's hear all those drunk/high stories! Lol

2. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    My wife was hanging out with her obnoxious neighbor girlfriend and a jug of cheap wine so I grabbed a glass (eventually another) and retreated to the garage to pluck some strings. Nothing epic, but I gathered a decent buzz and it was just incredibly relaxing.

This coming from the guy who gets drunk no more than 4 times a year and never done any sort of drug.:help:

Edit:
    Ironically there was a thread that started earlier today about recovering addicts getting together to support one another. Good job with the wrenches!

3. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    All I remember was me wanting to do nothing besides go sit on my combo amp and fall asleep. Oh, and I started playing the bassline from Another One Bites the Dust in the middle of a jam... I don't know if I was even in the right key.

4. I've played live paying gigs after smoking dope, and while being drunk. Those are the hardest substances I have, and will, try.

My timing suffered a little on dope, but I recovered well from mistakes and listening back over the recordings, I couldn't tell much difference between a stoned or tired night really. My energy levels were still up and I still wanted to play on.

When drunk, my timing suffered greatly. I hit a lot more bum notes AND I trainwrecked a complete section by becoming oblivious to the rest of the band while being half a bar in front of them. That was bad. After 2 songs I wanted to stop playing and sit at the bar.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I played a gig drunk once in my late teens, haven't done it since because I know how awful I was.

6. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    As far as booze, I still have a cassette recording of a show I played 15 years ago where I drank half a bottle of tequila before we played. It starts with me unable to tune my bass at soundcheck, and then I proceeded to play really, really loud (and out of tune), and shall we say marching to the beat of my own drummer. Never done it since, now it's 2 low alcohol % beer max before playing, and big glass of water along with one more while playing...I practice too hard to try an play well to just literally piss it all way come showtime. I don't really like drugs at this stage of the game.

7. jetbike

jetbike

Apr 2, 2011
    Sydney, 'Straya
    In my band in 2000, we had our first headline gig. We soundchecked at 4pm, then had 6 hours to wait until we went on. We did what any other red-blooded rock band in a pub would do, we got totally trolleyed. When we went on stage the drummer (my brother) was so pissed he fell over the guitarist's pedal board and broke everything, then fell off his stool. We had so many technical problems that we had to get a mate out of the audience to play Dylan covers on an acoustic whilst we argued about who's fault everything was.

I couldn't play to save my life, but wasn't sufficiently drunk that I was oblivious to how dreadful we were. That was the problem, not enough booze.

8. lyes4string

lyes4string

Dec 13, 2010
    Endorsing Artist of Warwick Basses
    never really get drunk before shows, its kinda a rule my band has. however when i was about 18 the band i was in didnt care one bit played a couple drunk just felt like a practice, now the other i dont know if i have ever played a show not under the influence of pot. back to that band i was in when i was 18, we had a battle of the bands type show at a pretty good venue here in st.louis and we all decided that lsd would make it more relaxing. that was by far the strangest show i have ever played. i think i litterally asked the sound guy how much time left after every song, not to mention everyone in the band thinking that we could just jam here and there in the songs and do some improv, yeah it didnt work out to well.(niether did the band)

9. 2 glasses of wine after a steak dinner and I was buzzin' before a gig.
    I am 'less quiet' and come out a bit more, talk to more people etc. which I like but HOLY SH*T I couldn't believe the amount of missed notes/off time I was banging out in the first hour of the gig.
    Just because of 2 glasses of red wine. It was tiring me out more because I was concentrating harder than normal (well trying to) on not screwing up!

10. Maximum two beers (12 oz, no pints or tall boys!) before the show. The last time I was in a band where one of the members was drunk was his last show... I have gotten a pretty hearty buzz going at a jam session before, I had a ball but probably sounded like crap... but then again, who knows?

11. worst show my band has had was when the guitarist and drummer decided to pregame before we headed out..

they both screwed up so much

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Two beers before the show and a maximum of one beer per set after. I loosen up a little and sing much better with a few in me. I've never pushed my luck though. Playing drunk sucks and playing stoned while fine at practice, totally sucks at a gig.

13. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    From 18-26 I never played sober. I'm sure it was hit and miss on most nights. Never used drugs, but I liked beer and whiskey before I went on.

Now I keep things to a beer a set, sometimes less. Usually have a glass of water for each beer.

14. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    in my last band, there was maybe 2 or 3 shows out of a hundred that I wasnt poopiefaced while playing.

15. JimB52

JimB52 User Supporting Member

May 24, 2007
    East Coast
    I like to play drunk or high, so I have an excuse in case I suck.

Seriously, diet coke is as high as I get while playing, although back in the day, anything goes.

16. got pretty drunk at last practice ... it was a horrible practice ... ill say nothing more

17. ahhh...last night I drank like most nights before show. Start about 90 mins before. I drank a couple Jack and Cokes, a 2oz mix drink and a couple shots before going on. I played pretty good. I think I missed maybe 2-3 notes over our 11 song set but recovered well. No one in the band cares because we have way more energy when drinking.

The worst was having a small show (only like 30 people there) so we decided to see how drunk we could get and still play. We all drank a combined 40 oz bottle of vodka (3 members) before getting onstage. I just remember winking at a girl I had been with before and probably making a fool out of myself.

No real bad stories with drinking because I dont ever horribly screw up. The worst would probably be a couple bum notes or slightly missed parts. Being active on stage makes up for little mistakes.

18. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I usually like a glass of wine, or a small scotch to get me in the mood to practice. It doesn't seem to hurt playing ability much, but I can totally see how if unchecked, one glass of scotch becomes two, then eventually half a bottle. Then much further down the road you're Nikki Sixx.

19. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Thats the gateway drug..before you know it...ahh nevermind.;)

I don't smoke pot anymore (Quit when I was 17) I get tired and hungry on my own.

I always drink "some" beer before/during shows.
    Takes the edge off...and I used to be in a band that was kinda embarrassing to listen to...eek, you could see it in there faces.(the more you drink, the better we sound).
    Yes, there have been a few where I drank too much.:bag:
    But at least a six pack(light beer) during the nite.

(I do not promote/condone drinking /drugs..especially under the legal drinking age.)

20. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Link us up to the video - we'd love to see it. :cool: