Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perhaps a silly question. Using 2 pickups with 1 pickup preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaveCustomMade, Apr 22, 2005.

1. I rarely use my blend knob on my bass. It's always right in the center. I'm considering getting a new Bart Preamp but can only get one with a 3 pot setup.

Option 1.) HR-3.4 which is for a two pickup layout, having stacked volume/volume, mid, stacked bass/treble. Totally fine for my 3 pot limitations, but without the ability to switch to Passive if I wanted.

Option 2.) HR-2.4 which is for a single pickup layout, having the volume push/pull Passive/Active, mid, stacked bass/treble.

Here's my question. If I always keep my blend in the center, could I just hook both pickups up to the single pickup connection, or would I have problems doing that?

Bottom line is, currently I only have an Active bass setup. If the HR-3.4 is the only way I can go [that is, no Passive option], then I'll live with it.

Thanks!

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you can do what you say with no problems I'm aware of.

I'd advise keeping the original electronics/pots though, and restoring them if you ever decide to sell - I'm sure most people will want to be able to use blend.

3. Oh, I won't be selling the bass. It is the Extreme Makeover - Bass Edition that I did last year.

To remind:

[​IMG]

So, I definitely won't be selling. However, since I made it LOOK better, I'd really like it so SOUND better too. It's just a little too flat without a mid boost.

You know, I might just go with the HR-3.4 option and just not have the ability to switch to Passive. Probably the best way to go.

4. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Why don't you just go with a different Bartolini harness that has all the options you want for 2 pickups? They make pretty much every option you can think of.

-Eric.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    unfortunately you really can't do that with only 3 pot holes. If you want a 3 band preamp, that's two holes taken, leaving only one which then has to be EITHER a blend OR a master volume OR stacked vol/vol.

6. xbradx

xbradx

Oct 25, 2004
    Indianapolis, IN
    i normally use a similar wiring setup with my jazzes since i always run both full on and have a problem hitting the neck volume and turning it down in the middle of songs. i just wire both leads to the bridge volume pot and either leave the neck pot in as a dummy, or in the case of my marcus, take it out and put a small piece of black electrical tape over the hole to cover it up. never had any problems.