1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Perhaps Another Attempt At 5 String, But...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jo6Pak, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    This time I want to try adding a high C rather than the typical low B. Does anybody here do that? Any advice? THANKS!

2. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    FWIW: I've been playing such a setup since 1990 and never looked back. Rotosound Swing Bass of gauges 30/40/60/80/100 works perfect for me.

3. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Kewl. I'm thinking D'A Chromes (45-100) with purchase of an individual .032 for the C. I would ordinarily go for the 40-95 set if it were 4 sring, but the 45 will give me a bit more room between the 32, ya think?

What do ya/don't ya like most about the EADGC tuning? I tried a couple 5ers with the B a few years ago, but never warmed up to it. Thought it would be more natural for me to climb UP, if I tried it again. Thanks for the response, I'm really interested in hearing more about this...

4. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    So who is making the bass with the hi C as 5th? Or did you just get a special nut and bridge to accomodate it on a standard 5'er???

5. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Good point. I have been assuming (yeh, I know what happens when ya do that) most nuts would accomodate one string size smaller than designed with little/no playing issues. Do you know otherwise? If so, my curiousity with it stops here. Not really worried about the bridge...

6. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Clearly the extended range is nice for soloing and playing chords. When playing walking bass it's also nice to be able to stick to the lower positions for a good tone, and left hand articulation on the C-string. Furthermore, I like having the E-string as the lowest one when I slap. Yet another pro: As opposed to the BEADG-tuning, where (IMHO) the tone of the B string degenerates in higher positions, this really opens up the entire fretbord for effective fingerings.

Overall, the addition of this high C string was a tremendous relief for me (who started out on cello) -- finally the instrument was complete! I run this setup on my doublebass too, BTW.

Hmm... I can't really think of anything I dislike. (If I need to go below E, I simply detune a semitone or two, but it's seldomly called for in the styles I'm playing.)

7. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    Thanks, Bro'! What about what MEKer said? Did you have to change out the nut or make other alterations to accommodate the C string?

8. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Standard nuts (and bridges) have worked just fine on the basses I've run this setup on.

9. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    That's what I'm talkin' about!

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Hey IFh-so you just put the E in the B slot and work on down to the hi C? And you get no buzz from slot rattle or anything? I am looking for a narrow neck quality 5'er (see my post I just put up) and would prefer to go hi C than low B by far as I play my basses often in a lead guitarish mode.

11. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Ah, come to think of it -- there are a few pitfalls after all: 1) Strings are slightly more expensive due to the lack of ready-made and discounted sets 2) Not all shops have C-strings in stock (but I guess few serious players leave home without extra strings anyway), and, perhaps the largest gotcha (at least if you play this setup exclusively like I'm doing), it's a bit tough to sit in with people and borrow a "normal" BEADG bass.

12. oldfretless

oldfretless Gold Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2007
    SoYo County,PA
    I have a Ric strung A-D-G-C (and I'm not the first to do this). It works fine and it's something else to confuse me. But it works.

13. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Great thread and information! Bud LeCompte is building me a 5 string tuned this way. I really want the extended upper range. Nice to know others feel this way.:)

Cheers,
    Jim

14. lfh

lfh

Dec 18, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    MEKer, yes, it's been as simple as that. I guess "your mileage may vary", but it shouldn't be too expensive to have a luthier install a new nut in case it's needed. (My axe is a MM Stingray 5, built in '92.)

15. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Thanks for the info----am looking at a Schecter Studio 5 or something similar. Best to you and all other TB'ers.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I did contemplate doing it once, but I think I'll just wait for a 6'er!