Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perhaps getting into double-bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gtrandbass, Mar 4, 2006.

1. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Hey guys,

It is late here in ATL so I did not search the topics...I have been playing guitar for a long time and I am now playing electric bass in a jazz combo (quartet). I am considering moving to an upright acoustic, partly because of this new band, and partly due to the demand of upright players in the Atlanta area. Should I make that move and if so what should I take into account when buying the instrument (I am super cheap guy, just little cash to spend). Are those $500 basses on Ebay OK to start with? I believe I could use my existing Hartke rig for a double bass?

Tks for your advice in advance!

2. I too was in your position, played electric bass/banjo/guitar for a few years, fell in love with DB.

There are many threads against CCBs (cheap chinese basses), but despite warnings I bought one anyway. $700 Merano from www.onlineguitar.com. It arrived a few days ago, and is more beautiful than I envisioned, as far as the finish and grain go. But the important part is the sound. I can't play well yet, but it had tons of volume and sounded good. The bridge is very high, so I'm paying about $50 to have it taken down a bit, to make it more playable. No complaints, if you have more money there are better basses, but you will get a fine working bass. Some say it is the luck of the draw, and maybe I got lucky. Worth it for me and my needs.

After you learn how to play and get/make a pickup, I don't see why it should'nt work in any bass amp. I haven't plugged mine in yet, however. Good luck!

Adam

3. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah, for under $1000 it's unlikely you'll find a decent upright, especially new. Look for and engelhardt or an old kay. You might be able to find a deal on one of these. I think you can get an engelhardt new for a little over $1000 that should be a decent bass.

4. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Being in the same situation, coming from electric bass and so green on DB, i did what everybody here said: take some time to read the newbie threads. From what I gather from all those readings is that buying a very cheap bass will eventually cost you more over a year or two (for a worst instrument) than if you put a little more money up front; one way or another you'll have to spend the dough. Better do it to get a better instrument then to try to salvage a crappy one.

Good luck!

5. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    There is a place in Atlanta that services/sells, maybe rents, basses. It is a very good idea to purchase a bass from someone that can service the bass. Ebay is a scam for uprights, imo. Plan on spending between $1,000-$1,500 for a professionally setup, good sounding, well built upright bass.

Oh yes, and read the Newbie sections till yer eyes bleed.

6. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Thanks you all for your advices, I'll read the newbie threads, it seems there really is a lot of beneficial info available here!