Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perhaps my amp is dead...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    We had a pretty bad storm come earlier today, with hail as big as baseballs. Luckily my house only had one smashed window, I can't say the same for some of the houses around here (although its not very severe). Anyway, after the storm had cleared I rung my drummer's house and asked him if they had any damage, he said a couple of windows smashed, and our band room had some water leak into it, which in turn found its way onto my Ampeg B2R amp! He said the cabinet didnt get wet, but there was a bit of a puddle of water on top of the amp when he went down there....
    So, I'm waiting until I can go over there and check it out, Im hoping its alright, and that no water got into the amp. Do you think I have much chance of it being alright?

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Well it's looking fifty-fifty, it either will be or it won't!! For your sake dude, I hope it's OK. The water may just be lying on the top, with no leakage into the circuitry!!

Fingers crossed for ya dude!

3. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    DONT TURN THE AMP ON!!!!!!! Whatever you do don't turn the thing on until it has COMPLETELY dried. Take it to a safe dry location, take the top cover off and run a fan at low speed aimed above it for a coupla days. Then and only if you feel confident that it is dry (poke around carefully with a qtip on the hard to reach places, if it comes out wet....) and sure about your decision, turn it on.

I had a severe flood in a practice spapce in the past and blew a PA head and a bass head because I turned them on before they were dry. A local amp tech told me that in many, but not all cases, amps can survive a certain amount of water exposure, but that the problem is people turn them on while they're still wet thereby causing electricity to go to all the wrong places.

My current PA head was placed under a leaky pipe and to my horror seemed waterlogged. I opened the chassis, pointed a hot air fan at it from about 4 feet away, low setting, for 3 days. It still works like a charm.

Of course you can always take it to a tech, no shame in that. Good luck.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, sometimes your electronics can get wet... And if you properly dry it up, it's still okay. The above post is right on!

5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    As long as the water hasn't carried in corrosive, conductive, or otherwise harmful contaminants, like salts, mud, acids, etc. Depending on the severity of the contamination, thorough cleaning alone might remedy the situation, or some components might require replacement.

Rainwater by itself is usually harmless if you let it dry completely.

6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    IT WORKS!!!

I turned it on after a couple of days of waiting and it works! :D
    Nothing seems to be wrong, which is great. My guitarist, however, isnt game enough to try his valve fender amp yet (even though it didnt get as wet as mine). I'm so happy it works, I didnt feel like going through the process of home insurance.