Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perhaps we too can learn from MyNameisJeff

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    ...and his p-p-p-powerbook.

Lately, I've noticed a lot of new scams on the e-bay. We should become all vigilantes, and try to do something about it, like MyNameIsJeff. Someone pointed out something good here last week of someone trying to sell air accompanied by a picture of another bass that was for sale.

Anyway, here's a link...read the pdf file, it's hilarious.

http://www.bootsix.net

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Wow.. That's amazing.. :p

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Reminds me of something Rob Cockerham would do, I'm sure he'd get a kick out of reading this.

4. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I just read the whole thing. It's genius. I wish I could've been a part of it. :)

5. OH MY GOODNESS, freakin awesome. If I ever go to the UK, I'll have to check that guy out, mess with him :D

Absolutely makes my day!
    :bassist:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I wanna hear what happens. That is just one of the best scams ever!!!! It's like sending credit card apps from one credit card co to another. But with a little more fun mixed in!!

7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    That's pretty funny stuff :D Is that really recent or has it been around a while? Next time someone on here gets scammed on ebay I think we should pull off something crazy like this...

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    ...anyone know how it ended or where we can see the photos?

DD

9. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    HA! :D

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    It's very recent. In fact, if you look around a bit, you can find the original auction, the UPS sending confirmation, and the original forum where this all went down at somethingawful.com. The latest news is that the scammer/buyer tried to send MyNameIsJeff a trojan horse virus. I do not believe he opened it, or at least there is no indication that he did. The 2 Brits who took the pics, and Starbucks, the guy who brought the webcam into the cafe, said that they were going to put the pics and video on the site that is currently in construction, p-p-p-powerbook.com. On the SomethingAwful forum, there is now tons of fanmail and its really hard to find anything else. As one long-time member put it, "Congratulations, you are all now internet heros".

11. Leave it to the SA goons to pull of magic like that. I've going to that site for about 2 years now at least, I'm not a member of their forums though.

Awesome stuff.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I spent more time today reading this stuff (quite long, BTW) than studying for my exams next week - and the week after that... :eek: :rollno: :D

hahahaha :D

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I thought he said internet legends(I read through most of that thread, but got bored and I might be mistaken)

eitherway, they are a bit of both, legends and heros.