1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Peris'cope open version

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by bassbuddie, Mar 27, 2009.

1. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I need help here. I am workin on Peri'scope and I am stuck with the changes, I feel I am always playing the same thing, and I am trying a way to open after the theme.
    On the first 4 mesures, would it be ok if I play on these changes? and what about the piano player? what happen if he stays on the real changes or vice versa.

First «Real» 4 mesures:

| D-7 G7 | Em7 A-7 | D-7 G7 | Cmaj A7 |

Open version:
    | A-7 | Dm7 | G7 | Cmaj |

2. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    Are you talking about soloing?

The changes are all diatonic to Cmajor except for the A7:

| D-7 G7 | Em7 A-7 | D-7 G7 | Cmaj A7 |
    ii7 V7 iii7 vi7 ii7 V7 Imaj7 VI7

Your version is also diatonic to Cmajor:
    | A-7 | Dm7 | G7 | Cmaj |
    vi7 ii7 V7 Imaj7

Other than that I don't see a lot of commonality between your changes and the real changes.

When soloing over those changes, look at it as a ii-V in Cmajor, followed by a iii-vi-ii-V in C major, then an A7.

Another soloing strategy for those changes is to consider the first two measures as one unit, then the next two measures as another unit. This fits with the way I hear the melody. E.g. play ii-V of Cmajor, then the next measure is a ii-v. Try the same pattern over both sets, just alter the pattern to fit the A-7. Then the next two meaures are a ii-V-I in Cmajor moving to the A7.

Cheers,

Jeff

3. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    No, i am talking about comping.

4. jweiss

jweiss Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Park City, Utah
    I think the concerns about the difference in the chords that you propose and those in the chart are still the same. Just trying to understand what you are trying to do.

Unless you, the pianist and the soloist are all on the same page regarding the changes you are playing, there is a good chance that your walking line over those chord subs are going to conflict with the original chords.

For instance, your proposed changes for the first two measures are A-7 to D-7, a typical walking line might go (letters are quarter notes):

A-7 D-7
    | A B C C# | D E F F# |

The "real" changes are

| D-7 G7 | Em7 A-7 |

So in measure 1 beat 3 you would be playing a C against the G7 chord (the fourth). If the pianist or soloist is playing the 3rd of G7 (B) this is going to clash.

Cheers,

Jeff

5. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    Thanks, I am just trying to open the progression.

When I listen to scotty, at a certain point on the song, let's say the third chorus, I do not ear the chord changes anymore, I ear more a kind of: From point A to point B.

That is what i am trying to figure out.

6. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal