1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Permanent Coil Split

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheSeagoats, Aug 1, 2017.

1. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    I have a GFS power rails in a bass (basically an X2N for anyone not familiar) and was thinking about wiring it in a permanent coil split. How would I need to solder my leads to pull this off?

2. I assume it has at least three wires coming out of it.
    Use a multimeter to figure out which leads go to the coil you want to use.

You can check which leads go to which coil by tapping on the pickup's rail while measuring resistance across those leads. If it's the right rail (that is associated with those leads), you'll see a bump in the meter reading.

Now just wire up the two leads you want to use & tape off the end of the unused lead(s).

I would think wiring it in parallel would be a better option, because it would retain the humbucking properties & gets closer to a single-coil sound.

3. TheSeagoats

TheSeagoats

May 21, 2015
    Maryland
    It's in parallel right now and I'm not a huge fan of it. It's in the neck position of a short scale jazz bass so I'll start using the bridge pickup and it'll still hum cancel. It has four wires if that makes a difference.

4. If you pick the correct coil it will hum cancel, but I'm not entirely sure how you'll know w/o trial & error.

5. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Are all 4 wires different colors? (Black, white, red, green)

If so, typically Black and white are one coil, Red and green are the other coil.

Is the bridge pickup the same as the neck pickup?
    Once you start using it as a single coil, you will lose the hum cancellation...unless you split the bridge pickup with the opposite coil.
    Huh?
    If you split two humbucking pickups, outer coils will hum-cancel, and inner coils will hum-cancel.

Killed_by_Death likes this.