permanent E

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by pipeman, Apr 4, 2005.

1. pipeman

Mar 20, 2005
    was wondering if anyone knows how the pirastro permanent E string compares to the flexocore 92 E string. the new flexocore sounds great with the bow but is dead with pizz in my experience. i'm curious if the permanent E has more life with pizz and is still as easy to play with the bow as the flexocore. right now i am using a dominant E string, and i find that the pizz sound and feel is good but the arco sounds like crap, which has been my experience with all of thomastik's strings.....
  2. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    I like the Permananent E very much, especially compared with the Flexocore. The pizz sound is rather dark, but still clear, and the arco response is excellent, strong and just bright enough. A fine all-around string.
    However, with the exchange rate being what it is these days, you might think about a Helicore Orchestra E instead. I like those just as much, and they're way cheaper.
  3. I currently use the Permanent E with Original Flexocor D & A and a new Flexocor G string on my orchestra bass. I think the Permanent E will work well with any type of dark orchestra strings in the same way that a Helicore E will. I have tried both, and I like the Permanent better for my bass. I think it might be a better choice than Dominant since the feel of the Permanent more closely resembles that the other Pirastro orchestral strings.