Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

permanent new sounding strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PwX-Steve, Jun 8, 2001.

1. i was wondering if there are a set of strings out there
    that keep the same sound like after u have cleaned a set of old strings or bought a set of new strings?
    i love the sound of it but cant seem to keep the sound any longer than a week then i have to either clean the things or buy a new set and it gets annoying.

steve

2. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    Elixers are known to keep their "new sound" for a long time (people have said they were still as bright as the day they bought them when they were four months old). I've never tried them but I really do want to and will probably soon.

3. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Sofa King is on the one, man. Elixers do sound new for a very long period of time. I have a set on my fretted and my fretless, and I honestly can't remember when I changed them last. I do almost nothing but slap and percussive stuff on my fretted, and needless to say I fell in love with the idea of not having to buy new strings, like, every week. Although now that I have a job again, I may go back to those superlight Rotosounds and buy them in bulk.

And I swear I'm not an Elixer exec...although I sure do sound like one on these posts. LOL

4. I have very acid perspiration. I mean it burned the chrome off my clarinet keys right down to the bare metal. Thomastik nickel flats are fine, but for roundwounds, stainless lasts for me. I am now using DR strings because they are wound under tension. Presumably when you put them on and tune them up, gaps are not opened up between the outer windings as they would be on strings that are wound slack (finger gunk gets between the windings and makes strings go dead). These DR Low Riders still sound great after a month. They are also hex core, which tends to restrict movement of the wrap. Also don't yank on your strings (that's another reason strings go dead).

5. Yeah, Elixirs might do the trick; the coating seals the gaps between windings.

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

a VERY experienced guitar/bass friend of mine told me that he dips his fingers in baking soda before each set he plays...the soda won't gunk up your strings, and the baking soda will neutralize the acid.

Just a though;)

7. How do you tune your bass and set your intonation with new strings if you don't give them a few good tugs?

8. A little gentle pulling is OK, or you can form the strings around the tuning post and over the bridge saddles and nut (and zero fret if applicable) using finger pressure.

9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Another entheusiastic vote for the Elixirs. Thier longevity more than makes up for the extra cost. fretted and fretless.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Elixirs really do last.

I have a 9 month old set on my Fender Jazz and they are as bright as they were when new.

I just wish they were a little brighter.

They are not quite as bright as brand new nickels. I love the sound of brand new stainless strings, and these aren't near that bright.

But they do keep their tone longer than any string I have ever played.

11. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    Yea, like I said in anouther post Elixers are bright in a Victor Wooten/Stu Hamm kinda way. I do miss that bright, punchy, funky-as-a-pile-of-dog-doo stainless steel sound. But I also have very acidic persperation and a job delivering pizzas.

Pizza guy's weekly pay + Acidic persperation = No new strings for a while.

12. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ok, this is an old thread, but just incase anyone's still watching... Should I go for the DR Low-riders or the Elixers? The Elixers are about £24 (All my money) and the Low Riders are about £18 (After mowing the lawn I'll have enough money left over to buy a set of flats for my fretless)

I've got horrible acid hands, strings die within weeks of putting them on... I'll try the baking soda thing, sounds like good logic, but which strings should I buy? Bearing in mind on this bass the only strings I've used are Blu-Steels and GHS boomers (Stock strings).

Also should I be going for light gauge or heavy? I'm into funk and such, I play alot of Mark King slap aswell as Flea style slap, however I actually play bass in a metal band. What strings will give me good growl, especially on the E string?

Thanks muchos!
    Tech.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yet another vote for Elixirs. They have a surprising amount of high end for a coated string, and mine still sound fresh even after sweaty/greasy gigs and rehearsals.

14. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'm tempted for the Elixers, but I've never tried a coated string and for the price I'm not sure if it's what I want.
    Does anyone know the length of Low Riders? I think they say 37 1/2" - So would that be enough to run string-thru additionally on a 35" scale length body?

15. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Or, actually, I can get a set of Rotos for a tenner... But they're really low gauge. What would be the tonal difference between the two? (Low gauge and high gauge)

16. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Techmonkey, you shoulda signed up for the elixir field trial...I think everybody here got at least a set - I got a couple from myself and my friends who don't need em...

17. I play in a metal band, but I love slapping as well. So what I will reccommend are some Rotosound nickel roundwounds. You can find them on juststrings.com for $12US. And come in gauges 40-100 and 45-105. Good luck!

18. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I went for the Rotos thanks:)
    I'd have loved to have signed up for the Elixers, but it's only open to the US :crying:

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Theres a solution, but its expensive: Change your strings every week or two. If money is tight, switching to a cheaper string and changing more often might still be better than trying to find the ultimate long lastinging expensive string.

The Elixers never sounded or felt right to me.