1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Permanent outdoor install?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Dec 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    A friend recently purchased a home. He and I were talking about improvements this coming spring. He asked what I thought of putting together a low powered backline that could live on the patio.

He often has gatherings that turn musical, and has been running a cable and moving combos in and out. He wants to get a small powered pa head, run permanent power to the area, and have speakers just live out there, incorporated in the decor or landscape.

Are the consumer "rock" speakers going to be any good? I'd imagine they would produce ok sound up above 200 hz . The problem with this is that it just amplifies the part of the spectrum that usually won't need help, you know?

Professionally designed permanent pa cabs? Are they cost prohibitive, considering that right now the Rumble 40 and 6" guitar combo have easily covered all these gatherings? We're talking hand drums and acoustics, maybe other strings or small wind instruments, typically no mics for vocal, but once, my PA50.

After milling over it for a few days now, I'm wondering, marine audio? Anyone recommend a good woofer to base a 3 way cab for maybe a 50-80 watt pa head? There will be basically a roof, but it's not a dry environment. Definitely have four distinct seasons here, high heat and humidity, low temperatures and dry air in winter. Typically have at least one bad freezing rain event annually.

Aren't marine speakers just like car speakers? By that I mean weird impedances, incorporated tweeters, and low sensitivity woofers?

He wants to keep the single mono cab to around a typical 110/112 pa cab size, and like stated, it really doesn't need to handle much power, but be good for putting bass, and possibly mics through. He stressed he didn't want a bass cab, because he wants to use it for prerecorded music too. I'd like to stay under $60 for the woofer.

2. kartiste

kartiste

May 5, 2008
    This isn't exactly in line with your friend's desirements, but inasmuch as my little outdoor speakers seem to rely on sealing their interiors to be proof to weather, this is a bass application that cries out for a passive radiator design as a sealable alternative to a vented enclosure.