1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pernambuco for bow carving

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by Basschair, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    (This is a revamp of a similar thread I had going for a while)

First of all, I'm just testing the waters here. I haven't been around long enough to know what's taboo, and I do realize that pernambuco is getting more rare by the moment. So, let me explain the situation. I was trying out my carving chops a year or so ago on bucote wood, just to see if I could make a bow stick. I was doing alright, and came across the opportunity to buy some pernambuco. I just couldn't help myself, thinking "okay, I'll invest in it, keep it safe and sound, and when I'm good enough, I've got my own little supply of wood!"

Well, now I've realized that it would probably be better off in a real bowmaker's hands. I've lost the documentation, so I'd have to take it to a guy near me to get Lucchi and density gauged...basically, right now I'm just curious if anyone here would even be interested in something like that. It's not something I'd want going to a novice (you know, like me :rolleyes: ).

As of 4/18 this wood is still available. It is 15/16 x 2 7/8 x 3 7/8...I forget the exact length, but it is more than long enough to get at least two or three good bow blanks out of.

Price is subject to confirmation of grade, but I'm thinking around $250 to 300, if it's as dense and usable as I suspect.