Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by olivier, Nov 15, 2000.

1. olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Is the rumor about a ban on pernambuco export founded ?
    How would this change the trade of bow making ?
    What's the current stock of wood for bows ?
  2. From what I hear, Ollie, there's a Big move toward Snakewood Bows, also I suppose the carbon Graphite Bows are
    getting popular, although I have yet to see anyone here comment on them.
  3. I read that in the _Doublebassist_ article about Reid Hudson. It makes sense given the whole cutting down the rainforests thing. I've never used a snakewood bow, but I assume pernambuco is better. Snakewood bows are commonly used with baroque (not broke)instruments. The change to pernambuco came with the modern violin family. So I can only infer that it's better suited.
  4. I have a few colleagues with snakewood bows (one of them is a Hudson) and they sound really nice. They are quite strong too. The one I'm most familiar with is rather heavey though - I wonder if it is generally a heavier wood. Anyone know?
  5. My bowmaker just came back from a meeting of the Violin Society of America with this story: Cattle ranchers are clear cutting into the rain forests for more grazing land. Lumber distributors are salvaging the valuable wood, including the pernambuco, which they sell to the world's bowmakers. Greenpeace is up in arms about the loss of rain forest. OK so far. But, possibly because they are ineffectual among the people destroying the forests, their answer includes declaring war on bowmakers who buy the pernambuco. The Greenpeace public relations is formidable, and portrays bowmakers as environmental rapists who exploit and employ slave labor to get the wood. They conveniently ignore the fact that the trees would be cut down anyway, and any pernambuco not bought is left to rot by the people who cut the forest. If every bowmaker stopped using pernambuco, just as many trees would be cut down. However, it's a whole lot easier to vilify individual artisans in the civilized world than it is to grapple with the real cause. The bowmakers are organizing, but their strength will be no match for the self-ordained priests of the environmental feel-good industry.
    The probable outcome will be heavy tariffs on pernambuco, which will drive up the cost of bows. My bowmaker will not use snakewood, and if forced, will find a new career.

[Edited by Don Higdon on 11-20-2000 at 11:52 AM]
  6. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN

As usual, well vented!!!!!!!