Perpetuals vs Jazzers?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Francois Blais, Jan 23, 2023.

1. For a long time, Jazzers were the sole bass string of that kind in Pirastro's catalog.
    But now with the Perpetuals, there's another choice.
    Can users of both strings can comment on theme please?

I put a used set of Jazzers on my bass yesterday.
    There seem almost new, thanks to the seller!
    The G sounds very bright at the moment.
    I know this kind of tone will settle in in a few days/weeks, but did you keep it when playing Jazzers?
    I'm actually thinking an Obligato G could be a substitute.

Thanks in advance!
    François

Sam Dingle likes this.
  2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    @TroyK is the only person on here who I know can give a long talk on this. Used Jazzers with some flexocore on the G for years, switched to perpetuals hoping for an upgraded jazzer and now on the spiro train.

3. Thanks Sam.

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yep, Jazzers for years until Perpetuals came out. Been back and forth between Perpetual and Spirocores since then.

Set-to-set, the biggest contrast is that Perpetuals are really well balanced. Jazzers are not. If you geek out on gauge and tension, you'll see that the D and G from the Jazzer set is much lighter than the E and A. Of course data doesn't matter, but in this case it supports my subjective take as well, it's not a well balanced set.

Obligato D/G do feel good with Jazzer E/A, but on gigs, they were not a good match sonically. If the Evah Pirazzi E/A are too muddy for you, Jazzers might fix that.

For me, the Original Flat Chrome G with Jazzers was a great combination.

Perpetual is a better set, though. Really good, right out of the pack.

5. Thanks Troy!

6. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    The E & A from the Jazzer set are extraordinary, though, and cry out to be matched with something.

Compared to Spirocores, both those lower Jazzers and all of the Perpetuals are more supple, less rigid, even when dealing with similar gauge and tension.

7. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Nashville TN
    wondering if you mixed jazzer EA with either normal or stark perpetual DG

BassBurns likes this.
  8. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I did briefly at home. My conclusion was that Perpetuals are a really well matched and balanced set. Jazzers don't make it better.

Evah Pirazzis with those low Jazzers probably work really well. I did that for a minute and it was great, but I don't personally love Evah Pirazzis.

I think gut would sit well with the low Jazzers as well. They are bouncy like that.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  9. bassfiddlesteve

bassfiddlesteve Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    That's what I love about them.

- Steve

10. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    About Perpetuals or Spirocores?

11. bassfiddlesteve

bassfiddlesteve Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Perpetuals. They feel so great under the left hand. Even Spirocore 3/4 weich felt like they were digging into my fingertips.

- Steve

TroyK likes this.
  12. I found the Perpetuals to crap out too easily when I dig in harder.

I put an almost new Superflexible G on yesterday night, and it's a already better than the Jazzer it replaced.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  13. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    That's a much heavier string. Your bass likes tension.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  14. BassBurns

BassBurns

Nov 11, 2012
    London
    How do the low Jazzers compare to the low Perpetuals? On paper they seem to be very different in terms of both gauge and tension (particularly the A). Do they also feel that different?

15. To me the Jazzers lows have more meat and tension than Perps.

BassBurns likes this.
  16. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I mostly agree with that. They have a different sonic fingerprint and the low Jazzers are bad-ass strings. Pair them with something on top and you've got a nice setup. Did just that for a decade+.

But Perpetuals, while different, are lacking nothing in my experience and they make a better set.

I'll also note that out of the pack, the Jazzers are snarly and awesome, then in a month or so, they mellow into something wholy awesome, but not snarly. Then somewhere around 14 months they suddenly lose all of their goodness. I usually stick with them a bit longer, but when I did change them, I wondered why I waited. It's a big dropoff.

Perpetuals on the other hand, mellow somewhat after weeks or maybe a month, but not a dramatic change and then seem to be stable for...I'm not sure how long. Longer than the life of the Jazzers, for sure.

BassBurns likes this.
  17. BassBurns

BassBurns

Nov 11, 2012
    London
    More meat sounds good, but how much more tension do they have? Are they much tighter? I'm trying a Perpetual E with the Stark D&G that you sold me (which I'm loving - thanks!), but it seems just a bit light in comparison (and a bit brighter too). I've also tried EP mittels with them, and all though I liked the added weightyness, my bass was not at all happy about the added tension and tightness. I was wondering whether the Jazzers could give me more meat without sending my bass over the edge tension wise. The tension charts would suggest no, but TroyK's comments about their suppleness made me wonder...

18. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    They are not high tension strings. They won't push your bass over if it is sensitive to tension, as my bass is.

Gauge is similar to Spirocore Mittel, tension will be a bit less and they are more flexible, so you may perceive them to be even lower.

Part of their beauty is that they are substantial, without being tight or stuff.

BassBurns likes this.
  19. Do you mean Spiro Mittel 4/4 (S42)?

20. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Yes.