Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perplexing computer (XP) issue

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Hey all...

I have a really bizarre computer "issue" that popped up recently. I can only view some web images anymore. Most are still there, but many are not. When I view whatever page in question in ANY browser, same thing. I've tried Firefox, IE, Netscape, and Opera. Nothing. When I try and view on any other computer, no problems at all. Everything is there as it should be.

Here's where it gets WEIRD. The image tags aren't even present when I view the source code!! There is no reference to the embedded images in the code whatsoever when I view the code on my computer. When I view the code on another computer, no problem at all.

When I boot in Safe Mode, everything is fine. No issues at all. I've tried disabling everything I could, one by one, to isolate the issue. No luck. Even with EVERYTHING turned off (that I have control over) the same problem remains.

By the way, It's a Win XP Pro machine with SP2 installed, and it's completely up to date with all updates/security patches.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  3. Hey Turock, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it...

I did completely clean out everything. All temp files/cookies/cache/etc. Same problems remain.

Regarding the article, that states the issue would be no image, but the red X or placeholder would be present. That suggests that the image tags are still present in the code. My issue is alot stranger than that. The HTML code itself is modified by removing the image tags on my machine. As far as the code suggests, there are no images present at ALL. So therefore, the browser is reading the code appropriately. Something in my machine is stripping away some image tags from the source code on some websites.

Freaky, huh? :meh:

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Assuming it is a recent problem, you could do a system restore back to a date before the problem.

5. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  6. Unfortunately, I tried that also. No luck.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I assume you ran a couple of spyware program scans and a virus scan?

brad cook

8. It affects .gifs as well as .jpgs. Not sure about other image files.

I will check what you said when I go home for lunch. I'm stuck at work now.

Thanks for the input!

9. Yep. Ad-Aware, Spybot, System Mechanic Spyware Checker, Trend Micro, and PandaSoft. I typically run these about once a week, just to be safe. They aren't showing anything.

Thanks Brad

10. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  11. I haven't used Hijack This. I'll d/l and run when I head home for lunch.

Thanks!

12. Hey Juneau, I tried this, and it keeps asking for my SP2 disc. I don't have that. I downloaded SP2 from The Microsoft Update page.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Did you just put in your XP disc?

14. Yep. Tried that, and no luck. If I knew what files it was looking for specifically, I could point to the appropriate folder, but it's all blind.

Grrrrrrrr!

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Put SP2 on a disk.

16. I don't think I'll have access to it, will I? In Microsoft Update, it scans your system and offers what's available. Being that I already have SP2, it won't be offered, correct?

17. Nice. Thanks Juneau. I'll get on that when I leave work and get home.

Thanks again to all of you offering help. It's appreciated.

18. I'm not sure if you can just put sp2 on a disc, you may have to slipstream SP2 with your XP disc for that.

google-fu

19. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Well, you can. But it might be a crap shoot. When the SP2 .exe runs, it extracts to a root folder(the foldername is alphanumeric and around 25 characters long). As soon as you get to a continue prompt, look for that folder. Burn it to CD(CD-RW if you want to save on a CD).

But another poster mentoned already. If your PC can browse without issue in safemode(with networking) then you might have a malicious process running.

DCat,