Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perrogies... Best Food Ever?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Aug 31, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just cooked myself some cheese and potato perrogies, and served them up with sauteed onions, sour cream and bacon. I think this might be one of the greatest dishes on Earth. So, inspired by the Poutine thread, I decided to start this one. Do you like perrogies? If so, how do you like them served?

[/end pointless post]

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. I eat eat 'em with A-1 sauce.. i'm freakin wierd anyway so it makes sense..

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    ah, yeah. pierogies have been a regular staple of my diet since i was born. i'm a butter-and-parmesan cheese man myself, as far as toppings go. :hyper:

4. Perrogies? What? What are perrogies?

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I have never heard of these things.

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Me niether, now i am hungry. :bawl:

8. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    :crying: me too.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You guys are sheltered. Think ravioli and cheese. Now insted of what your thinking it's the same shape, same premise there are different stuff inside perrogies.

The basic kind is potatoe and cheese filled. The preferred method is pan frying, some steam them. I like mine fried in butter, with garlic, onion, salt and pepper topped while warm with sour cream and bacon.

You can buy them frozen but the best is fresh from like a polish bakery.

10. Sour Cream,some Sauteed' Onions help too.

mmm...perrogies

11. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Poutine is better! :bag:

12. yes. me too! being mostly of polish decent, I have eaten millions of them. i remember my grandma making literally tons of those, and me and my whole exended family would just eat them like crazy.

my favorites are: cheese, potato, saurkraut and mushroom.

keep in mind, those are all separate, not combined!

EDIT: btw, we boil them!

Charlie

13. I can make my own caus I'm cool that way/part Polish.

I like potatoes and cheese with a bit of sour cream. :)

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I have had some good poutine in my day...being a yankie I must say I really enjoy poutine (Toronto has great poutine). But a perroggies would kick a poutine's butt any day!

15. pierogies are pretty tasty, but has anyone tried a pastie? i'm not talking about the nipple covers that strippers used to wear. i'm talking about the pocket sandwich served in northern michigan. pasties are where it's at. especially if they're vegetarian. spicy potatoes and vegetables with cheese in a pastry crust is where it's at. pasties own.

robb.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    we boil them too. the town that i grew up in had a large polish population, so even though my family is italian (there's a large italian population there too) we had a lot of polish foods - galumpkie! since my wife is half polish we carry on that tradition in the deep south "enemy territory" heh.

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Great Stuff :)

18. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    mmmm.....pierogies....mmmm.....galumpkie.

Ya'll are making me hungry. I'm also of polish decent. My grandmothers have both made a ton of this stuff in my lifetime. Good eatin' fo sho.

We boil the pierogies and then sautee them in some butter. I like cheese and saurkraut.

19. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Let's here it for the Polish! I made them twice form my moms recipe. Both times, while I was making them, I kept saying "this is too much work". But after they were boiled then fried, then enjoyed, it was well worth it.

20. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Mmmm. I love pierogi. I like to saut√© them with onions and garlic. One thing I miss about Connecticut is being able to buy fresh, locally-made pierogi. My mom is Polish, so I grew up with a lot of delicious food like gołobki, kiełbasa, etc.

Trader Joe's (you can eat and drink well but inexpensively if there is a Trader Joe's store near you) has some very tasty frozen Russian-style perogi (slightly different from pierogi) with chicken or potato fillings.