1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Perry Robinson RIP (maybe)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by brianrost, Dec 5, 2018.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Saw a post on a blog that clarinetist Perry Robinson passed away Sunday 12/2/2018. Googled for an official obituary and found none yet,so consider this still unconfirmed.

2. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    His close comrade Mark Whitecage was where I heard. He was a great musician. This album is probably my favorite by him still:

Of course this trio by the original Henry Grimes is monumental:

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Ooh, I should definitely check out that William Parker album. I first heard Perry on those two 70s albums with Dave Brubeck and his sons. They also had Peter Madcat Ruth on harmonica so it was a really unusual sound for Dave! I got real excited when The Call finally became available again after so many years OOP and I was not disappointed.

Reading Perry's autobiography The Traveler right now, a fascinating guy. He was never well known by the general public (most of his albums going OOP didn't help) but the list of great musicians he worked with is endless!