1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Personal Bass vs Guitar funny

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Tin Man, Sep 6, 2008.

1. So Ive been out of town for the last month. had my Bass and my newly borrowed bass. so I ignored my acoustic guitar I had with me most of the time. I get home late last night and do all of the check the house are my amps there do I still have a fridge ... that kind of stuff. its all good so I go to sleep.

than today I plug in my strat because a friend loaned me an effects rack for it and I wanted to see how it sounded and I just couldent play .. at all... all I could think is what is this toy in my hands... grabbed me bass and went to town .. great sounds but im a pretty clean sound player. nice to play with when just playing around but ..

so the whole point of this is how a month not playing guitar can make a guitar feel like a toy in my hands compared to my bass. and no its not a 5-6 eight string monster its an old 4 string fernandes... although I really cant wait for my 5 string to catch up with me this week. ups says still on track.

2. Try playing double bass and then switch to bass guitar, same thing pretty much.

3. I know what you mean. When I stop playing guitar for a few weeks, it seems it's *easier* to play than I remember. All the frets are closer together, everything is easy to reach, and the strings are light and slinky.

4. I played guitar for 20 years and now I'm pretty much a bassist. I rarely play acoustic guitar now except to give lessons now and then. I still get asked to play acoustic for camping trips and coffee house gigs. I've had a similar experience but only with electric guitars. In fact, if someone asks me to play an electric guitar then I'll usually decline simply because I know I won't do it justice since my fingers are so used to wider frets and bigger strings.

5. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    I have an acoustic laying around that I hate playing the strings hurt my fingers, you have wrap your own arm around it just to play....ugh.

Electric on the other hand...I just played one for the first time the other day (vintage gibson) and...wow. It was so easy to play, I didn't even have to pluck strings I could have played the whole thing with just my left hand. Give me a month with one and I can be a lead guitar player....now chords in those funky shapes, thats another story.

6. try cello after BG... feels like you're playing a broomstick (literally)

7. The_Orlonater

The_Orlonater

Jun 6, 2007
    +1

Literally, I thought they'd be bigger.

8. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Big +1. Every time I play my DB and then play my electric bass, it feels like it's insanely small. lol

9. lunker

lunker

May 27, 2008
    Houston
    Try bass to violin. I played violin 10-11 years, now I play bass (obviously) but still pull the ol' fiddle out every once in a while. I feel like I'm about to break the thing into pieces every time I touch it. It takes me several days to get my hands to work properly.

10. USAOwnz

USAOwnz

Sep 7, 2008
    It always feels like there is a foot missing from my Les Paul each time I go back to play that. Neck is just soo much shorter.

11. +1 on the cello to bass guitar. Although, you don't want to go from bass guitar to violin, the finger spacing goes out the window and you play sharp for a while. The go back to bass, and you wonder how you ever played bass, the frets are so far apart... :D

Oli

12. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    You can get the same effect just sticking with bass guitars. I got a 6 string for the first time about 2 weeks ago, it was a bit awkward and it was a new toy so I spent 3 full days playing it, then I picked up my four-string fretless and it felt like half a guitar or something. Now I swap around regularly so it doesn't shock me when I pick up one or the other.

..it's true about violins, though. My girlfriend has one and it scares me. ...it's like using a hammer made of glass... so fragile but to use it you do really need to grab the thing. Scary stuff :D
    I also have a ukulele but that feels tiny no matter what the hell you've been playing beforehand.

13. MoEllis

MoEllis

Sep 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    sad but true

14. aikakone

aikakone

Jan 27, 2008
    Louisiana
    I can relate. Guitars seem so TINY to me now that it's really just funny how it is. During my warm ups when I am going up anywhere beyond the 12th fret, my fingers feel so close together, and I think the feeling would be even worse with a guitar!