Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Personal Effects Pedal, yes or no!!!???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JohnnieLove, Jan 19, 2000.

1. JohnnieLove

JohnnieLove

Jan 14, 2000
    Ok, I've been told by a bassist to get a bass effects pedal. It is a must have. Especially when going from a REd Hot Chili Peppers song to a Cure song. What do you all think?? Is it worth it, or should I just use the amp and the bass?? Please tell me what you think. Thanks.
    Johnnie

2. Ted

Ted

Dec 11, 1999
    I don't know any of the Cure's music off-hand, and I can't think of any Chili Pepper's song in which Flea used an effect.

My opinion?
    I think you need to ask yourself this: Is the use of an effect ESSENTIAL to the music being played?

3. That's not exactly the good board for talking about FX -jump to the FX board-, but I would like to say that ted is making a big big mistake when he says that Flea doesn't use FX on his bass lines with Red Hot Chili Peppers.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Flea used a '70s Mu-Tron "funk" box on "Sir Pyscho Sexy".
    Personally, I'm not into "effects"...the sound should come from YOUR hands; why would anyone want to put a $100 effect on an "expensive" instrument;...blahblahblah. Those are my usual stock replies regarding pedals/effects.
    That said, the only effect I've ever bought was an EBS Octabass pedal. Back in the '70s, an acoustic bassist gave me his Mu-Tron box. Also, a "touch" of CHORUS can yield an almost fretless tone...as long as YOUR hands are doing what they're supposed to [​IMG]

5. Scottzo

Scottzo

Jan 20, 2000
    The only effect i own is a DOD Envelope Filter(auto Wah)..great for getting funky..cool Bootsy sounds..Flea does use this effect on Blood Suger Sex Magic.

I use maybe twice a gig.

Remember..effects are only a tool..true sound comes from you!

6. while everyone is in the talk about Flea's effects, he does use a distortion pedal in Around the World, it seems like he is using an eq pedal on most of the album, and also he uses a bass crybaby wah.
    I use the Geb-7 bass Eq, and i also use a Bfx-708. i use the eq to give my bass a bigger range of sounds, cause i only have p-style pickups, and its just a plain sound. I use the Bfx-708 normaly for the distortion, wah, and Fretless simulator

7. Bryan

Bryan

Dec 24, 1999
    I use effects myself but not all the time. There was a time because of lack of stage room and funds, I could not use any effects at all. It was fine but I like to have flexability.

8. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I wouldn't get to many pedals.
    Just get a good wah, EQ, chorus and a couple others and your really set.

9. Robert B

Robert B Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Hampton, Va USA
    I always found that effects are fun for awhile, but after the novelty wears off, I just haven't used them very much (almost never), so I stopped buying them. They just end up in a box someplace gathering dust. If on the otherhand, you are looking for a specific sound and the effect will do it for you, go for it! It seems from the posts I see there are many who swear by this effect or that effect. I tend to be from the same school as JimK -- I want to hear my bass, and don't find fancy electronic gimmicks to be an improvement. Guess it's a matter of personal taste and style. Take care,

------------------
    Robert B

[This message has been edited by Robert B (edited January 23, 2000).]

10. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I find a tuner is a pretty cool effect. Your milage may very. Depends on if the guitars use one or not.

A volume pedal is also kind of cool. Mine works in both directions.

jc

11. The classic Cure 'effected' sound on bass is either Flanger (simon gallup on 4-string, circa Faith) or a combination of delay & chorus, maybe something else (Robert Smiths 5/6 string, later) ... and i don't care who it is, you can't get those sounds with your fingers.

If you can find effects of decent quality and which you dig, they can be a valuable addition to your rig. Use with taste, as with anything.

12. I wouldn't call effects ESSENTIAL, but then again if you want to play cure covers to a T, then they are for that. Fretgrinder was probably on target with his comment about what kind of effects they used. I personally find the cheap, multi effect, floorboard processors crappy and toylike. You might need to look into a rack multi effect processors if you want multi but of course you cand go with the individual effects.

13. From what i can gather from recent GAS fuelled enquiries, the Fulltone ChoralFlange (www.fulltone.com) and TC electronics chorus/flange are two really high-grade (read expensive) flange/chorus stomp boxes, but MXR get the best reviews from bassists on Harmony Central for mid-range (much cheaper) pedals.

I haven't found a digital multi-FX yet which can stack up against good dedicated FX boxes, but something really expensive by TC Electronics or Digitech might be up to it - might get less signal degradation too, since there are less components in the signal chain.

I have a Korg Bass Multi-FX (the one with an expression pedal) that I'm using less and less - as i become more aware of tone / lazier / more infected with GAS, I've decided to put together a chain of high quality, dedicated FX to replace it. But if variety is the most important consideration, these things are still fine for live work.

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    There are two schools of thought: "effects for bass" and "no effects for bass". The purists call for no effects. I can go either way.

I use a Zoom BFX708 once in a awhile, especially at jam sessions. You can really have some fun with it. The chorus, flanger, octaver, and delay are good enough for a gig. They might not cut it on a recording though.

On the gigs, I usually keep it clean, unless a 1970s songs calls for some envelope or flanger action..

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

LOL!!!

i'm about to build myself a little effects board:

Moogerfooger (with FOUR expression pedals)
    Boss Octaver
    ART Levelar tube compressor

who knows what else...maybe a distortion pedal?

why? WHY NOT? better to have it and not use it than to not have it and want it :D

jason

16. My favorite effect is when I stop playing and the rest of the band crashes and burns around me.....seriously though; I would have to vote for the Mutron III. I can get so many tones from this lovely box, everything from faux chorus effects to even a fretless simulation depending on how hard I play. Sub octaves, deep synth, all there. Fun stuff. Why are'nt there more velocity sensitive effects available; I love them.

17. Oftentime it really depends what kind of "effect" we are talking about. If the effects boxes you are looking into are say an EQ pedal or a compressor (which aren't really effects in the truest sense of the word) they may be very helpful in shaping your tone and could be the kind of thing you'll find yourself using a lot. Other effects (like distortion etc.) may be fun and might be used a lot but many times they might be just taking up space for no apparent reason. So I think the best advuice would be to be careful when purchasing and pinpoint exactly what you want to improve in your tone... then just select the right pedal (or new playing style) for it.

18. I'll second that - i have a korg multi-fx (the axb100 i think, has an expression pedal) ... but i also have a Sans Amp BDDI, which i use all the time because it improves my tone; the multi-FX i use only sometimes, when i feel liek getting swooshy ...

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    My only indispensable pedal is my Fulltone Bassdrive II (actually, my Dunlop 105Q would be hard to give up), and that is mainly for my 9v. Roscoe SKB3005. My 18v. LG3005 and 9v. Lakland actually overdrive the pedal making it sound more like some of the cheaper distortion/overdrive pedals, so bass of choice depends on which bass sounds best in any given gig location. That said, a good friend of mine was at our last gig. This guy is an electrical engineer and is absolutely anal about sound/tone, etc. So I bit the bullet and asked him if my tone adjustments for the various covers we play sounded authentic.

His response was that with all the yelling, partying, and halter/tube top/mini-skirt distractions, he noticed my bass sounded different during different songs, but he, and 99% of the audience wouldn't notice how true it was to the original recording.

Well, that kind of burst my bubble a little bit, but you can look at it 2 ways, either you can keep things simple cuz no one really pays that much attention anyway, or you can keep pursuing all the effects, basses, amps, cabs, etc. upgrades knowing that if it sounds good to you, you play better (my philosophy).

20. What do you think? Are you prepared to live through all the hassles that keeping a pedalboard will present to you?

- Building a suitable sized, sturdy and road ready board with cables and adapters (yeah, I recommend wall warts, messing about with batteries can drive a grown man to tears or madness).

- Looking for the right effects that suits the type of music YOU play with YOUR tehcnique with YOUR band and YOUR bass.

- Spending a lot of money in pursuit of the "King Tone".

- Driving your drummer nuts with your latest version of combined sludge tone consisting of flanger + fuzz + delay + envelope filter + phase and octaver... well, not really - but almost.

If you find yourself nodding by yourself thinking: yesyesyes - well then... GO FOR IT!

A final word of wisdom: NEVER LISTEN TO CONSERVATIVES! They are a sad and lonely species of people, who are always against EVERYTHING. If you see one, be armed with a load garlick and a crusifix!