Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Personal In-Ear Monitor Systems, your exp..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Dustinvavak, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    If some of you could describe your experiences with In-Ears it would be helpfull, worried about low-end response....

2. Well, I think this might be just right up my alley because our worship band just got a brand new wireless in-ear system.

At first thought, I love them. It is going to take awhile to get the mix set just right (me and our electric guitarist have to share a mix) and the only thing that makes this more difficult is the fact that we are always scrunched for time and the people running sound don't exactly listen to everything we ask.

Other than getting the bugs worked out the next few weeks, they are such a blessing because it got rid of 5 (I think) floor wedges that always interfered with the FOH mix. The other adult volunteers (I play for a youth group) noticed a huge difference in how everything sounded. I'm guessing it also had to do with pretty much redoing all of the wiring for the room over our Christmas break.

As far as low-end response...well no, you wont get the floor shaking lows from your monitors but if you're able to, keep your rig with you and turn down low. Having your amp will let you feel the notes more than hearing them. If you're more worried about "farting out", I know on our system the best way to solve that would be to turn down the amount your getting from the board and turn up the volume on the pack but I'd have to look at it to see how that would apply to your system. I know a lot of people are going to disagree but if you really need to, take one piece out. Only thing is, depending on how often you play, switch ears and don't play with the same one out everytime.

All in all, in-ear monitors just to hear whats going on are wonderfull because you're not competing with other monitors and the FOH.

3. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    thanks, my bands is getting ready to possibly purchase an entire in-ear system just wanting to get as much first hand knowledge as possible.

4. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Your low end response is directly proportional to how much $$$ you drop. Although I still play clubs that use wedges, I have in-ear monitors I use in a few venues.

The set I use is made by Future Sonics. The low-end is transmitted through bone induction, using the foam plug portion of the monitors. If you use plugs that aren't theirs, the bass response disappears. Something about the foam's density.

Not only is it a clever way to make sure you order parts from them (it's like 5 bucks for a few replacement sets), but it's a darn clever way to make sure you can still "feel" your bass. Listening to music on them is a joy, too.

5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I have been using IEM's almost exclusively for the past 7-8 yrs. Once the mix is settled in I think you will love them. I will admit they aren't for everyone but almost everyone I know that tries them falls in love with them. With the hearing damage that I have, they have allowed me to not only continue to perform regularly, but to enjoy the whole experience more than ever before. Now to address your concern for low end, the KEY is to get a good tight seal. I use Shure E-5 transducers with custom fit covers (molds) made by Westone. (approx $100) I believe Sensaphonics also makes their own model of molds for the E-5s. With these molds, I get plenty of low end. Then again I am able to use a separate monitor mix that includes eq'ing my bass channel along with a Sans Amp bass driver that does not affect the FOH send. I have not regularly used a bass amp on stage for years. Three of my band mates use IEMs and three do not. Just by eliminating three screaming wedges on stages reduces stage volume and helps clean up the FOH mix significantly. As far as sharing mixes with another member, there is a very easy solution to that problem. Get the members that share mixes a Shure P4M mixer. Run a generic mix to the P4M. Plug each performers instrument/mic into the mixer and through to main mixer. They then have control of not only their particular instument, but control of the amount of the generic mix they require. Problem solved!

6. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used IEM for a while with a loud 10 piece horn bamd. It was great.

I used a 2 channel EQ to help out with the "low-end" and "more me" thing. I took the "band mix" into one channel, and my bass into the other. I was then able to use separate EQ's and Levels for each and blend them for myself. I added some low end to my bass to make me feel like I had low end. The 4 18" subs in the PA took care of the FOH low end.

They do take a little getting used to, but I really liked them.

7. Well, in my situation it is a matter of only having 4 auxilery "channels" on the board so two of the wireless transmitters have to go to one of the channels. I don't think it'll be that much of a problem though once we work out the rest of the bugs and get things settled in.

8. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    The Shure P4M is made exactly for your type of situation. The two that share 1 monitor mix can send that common mix to the P4M, then plug their respective instruments and mics into the 4 inputs. The P4M has stereo outputs so you can both share the common mix and still blend your own instument and voice to your liking. It isn't the same as having 5 separate mixes, but it comes pretty damn close.:)

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    +1 on everything Jerry Ziarko has said.

I've used them a lot and love them. I'll use floor monitors if I have to but to me, loudspeakers vs IEMs is like the difference between a blurry old CRT and an ultra sharp LCD monitor.

10. jimbob

jimbob

Dec 26, 2001
    Charlotte NC
    Endorsing Artist: Acoustica Mixcraft; Endorsing Artist: DR Strings
    I loved them, Guitarist hatted them, drummer hated them...they sit in the box unused.

11. rogerjeep

rogerjeep

Aug 10, 2005
    Here is my playing situation. I play 50 weeks a year in the same location. Five musicians on stage at all times with as many as 5 different singers. We use the Aviom in ear monitor system. I personally use Shure E-5 other band members are using UM2's The Um2's. I find the UM2's a little warmer then the E-5's. I have a pair on order and will be switching to them this month. I use a Demeter HBP-1 for a preamp. Every musician has their own personal mixer. It is great!!! We have used this system for 4 years with no problems. As for low end? At first I hated the system and my buds. I had no low end but finally I found out the ears were not in far enough. That is the problem I think most people have. Once you get the bud in far enough you will get plenty of low end. I play both upright and electric bass and never wanted more low end. In fact I found myself rolling it off sometimes. I strongly recommend in-ears.
    If you have any questions about my setup send me a message and I will tell you more about it.