1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Personal Landmark albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    There are certain albums in my life that there is a before and after. By that I mean, your life, musical or otherwise is altered by this album, or in many case, series of albums. Lets see your lists of life changing albums, and maybe a brief story why.

AC/DC - Live at Birmington. First Rock album that I ever listen to all they way through. I discovered there was more to bands than singles (which is ironic, considering this is AC/DC performing their singles live)

Metallica - The Black Album. Introduced me to metal, as I'm sure it has for many. This was before Megadeth ruled my life for about 2 years.

Marylin Manson - Portrait of an American Family. The first album I listened to that I thought, "Wow, the bass is doing something completely different than the guitar."

Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese. This turned my bass world upside down. It also reassured me that I had picked the right instrument, and that my love of weird could be musically interpreted.

Monster Magnet - Dopes to Infinity. I dug space lord, and I found this in a discount bin. This was before I knew "stoner rock" exsisted. I discovered how trippy hard rock could be. I was still in a very rock phase, and for that reason, I couldn't dig on stuff like Pink Floyd as hard.

T-Rex - Tanx. My chronological order is falling apart now, but that's alright. This album showed me how valid "pop" rock could be. These songs were so catchy, rockin', chill, sexy, egotistical, and perfect.

King Crimson - Red. Not since Sailing the seas of Cheese has an album hit me this hard. If STSOC hit me like a Mach Truck, Red hit me like a radioactive whale falling from heaven. It was at this point that PROG MADE SENSE! In the past, bands like Rush, Yes, and Genesis just sort of washed over me.

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. A great album, but this is more than that to me. I told this before, but it's... well... when my dad was a young man with a child, he wasn't down with "Rockabye baby" or "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star." He would sing his mellow rock songs he dug, his favorite, the appropriate Carpet Crawlers, that was his idea of a lullaby. I've always had an unexplained (to me) connection to that song, then I was told my dad sang it to me, and I though that was cool. My dad was later diagnosed with cancer and it was going on for some time. I asked if I could borrow a bunch of his records, he didn't mind. A few nights later, I couldn't sleep, so I went downstairs, and put Lamb Lies Down on Broadway on. Carpet Crawlers came on and it was very peaceful, and depressing at the same time. I cried for a while and went to bed. The next day I found out my dad was dead. I haven't listened to that album much lately, but it will always remind me that my dad was/still is ****ing awesome, and I couldn't have had a better father.

Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica. Whew, on a lighter note. This is an example of over analysis being a weird thing. At first I thought this album was a joke. Then it started making sense... then I spent about a year trying to figure out why it was so damn logical... then I just learned to accept it.

Amon Duul II - Yeti. This is what I want to do with my musical life, or at least a portion of it. An amazing band, this was my first exposure.

2. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Mine would be None So Vile by Cryptopsy. First hearing that just made me want to play that so bad.

3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Thanks for sharing. For me, a couple come to mind right away:

Sargeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
    Close To The Edge - Yes

MM

4. Good thread Idea.

Led Zeppelin IV - the first rock band that reallly hit me. I was in 8th grade and was already playing classical music, not a big rock fan.Then my mom just randomly bought me this cd. Zep is my favorite band and this album is my favorite album . It never gets old to me.

CCR Chronicle - Every middle class teenager growing up in the south has some kinda connection to CCR. I know they were from San Fran but there's something so southern about them that everyone down here digs em . I'd heard them all my life and after Zep , these guys rocked me. This album is just a compilation but it introduced me to them and some of the best American Rock ever.

The Clash self titled Uk Version - The third cd I ever bought cause I dug the name. I wasn't much for punk and I'm still not but this showed me the angry side of rock. This is my F--- you all record.

Mott the Hoople , Mott - This album was eye opening in Ian Hunter's portrayal of rock stars. He takes on a character of a fallen rock star who was never on a high where he could fall. Lyric wise this is my favorite stuff. It also helped to make me a little cynical.

Bowie, Ziggy Stardust - the last girl I dated , this was "our" album. We loved it and when I was with her it sounded perfect . Now when I listen to it , it makes me sad.

Clutch , Blast Tyrant - a milestone in my rock history, opened my eyes to Clutch.

King Crimson, Earthbound- Left me numb and still does. I have it on original vinyl . This album is a brain destroyer.

Faust , Faust IV - This album is where you go when all others fail. This is music hell. For that , it holds a place in my heart.

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, Real Gone and Heart attack and Vine. My first Tom Waits albums, got me into weird and made me stick there.

Thats all I can think of .

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's The Way of the World - Earth, wind, & Fire. I was a kid when this came out, but I learned to hum the basslines before learning the lyrics. The die was cast! :bassist:

6. 1.) Deep Purple - Machine Head
    hearing SOTW on a burger king really opened my ears to bass...the sound of roger glover's bass really got me interested in what the bass was capable of...later that day my mom told me she had the MH record, and i listened to it the whole way through, and i was hooked :)

2.) Deep Purple - The Book of Taliesyn
    I realize i already put DP, but once i got into DP's MH, i started to collect other DP records...then i found DP mk.1...these guys were far from the MH years; they were more of a classical-rock band, and Nick Simper was the bass player...He was a much busier player than RG, and to me really got the bass out in front, and even on the slow songs, you heard the bass in front, right next to the vocals :)

3.) Weather Report - Heavy Weather/ Jaco Pastortius - self- titled
    once i started listening to busy bass players, i got hipped to Jaco here on TB...I heard 30 seconds of continuum on amazon.com and and i told my dad we had to get that cd...so we went to shopko and we did :) later that day i mentioned the name to my uncle and he gave me a copy of heavy weather, and thats when i went through my Jaco Jaco Jaco phase :)

4.) Rage against the machine - self titled
    I started getting into a more aggressive sound (sorry Jaco :)) and then my cousin hipped me to RATM...He showed me the music video for bulls on parade and i told my older sister about it, and she gave me a copy of their self-titled cd...first time i listened to it, it scared the heck out of me :) they told me I was going to burn!! of course i was in 8th grade by this time. I had never really listened to anything harder than the blues or jazz at that time! then i went on my Tim Tim Tim kick, and i started getting into effects...

6.) Phish - farmhouse
    after a few years of rage-filled high school years, i started to appreciate music that wasn't always angry, screaming and yelling. Phish really turned me on the the idea that a song can last more than 5 minutes...I loved how those guys could just jam for an hour if they wanted to...I still like that idea...i love jamband...I went on my phish kick, and i am still there :)

7.) Cream - Live Cream vol. 1 & 2
    My dad has been a clapton fan for at least all my life, so I've been listening to clapton all my life...once i started getting into jambands, I thought phish was good, but on a parallel line Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton were just killing. I think that the whole Blues/Rock chapter started and ended with Cream. I never thought much of Cream until after i got into jambands, and heard some live cream from the late 60s and then i realized how much power you could have while still jamming for a half hour on one song...examples? on the two live cream cds listen to NSU, Sleepy Time, Politician and Deserted Cities of the heart...Cream really amazed (and still does) me.

8.) Jacob Fred Jazz Oddysey - Walking with Giants
    this is was the Atom bomb for me. At that point, i was really getting into effects, weird sounds, looping, jamming, and a whole mess of other crazy ideas, and these guys just amaze me...Reed Mathis has influenced me more than any other bass player. He uses effects, he plays all around the neck, he does't always fit in with the band, but the band fits in with him...amazing
    like i said, when i heard first heard JFJO, i felt like i had heard music for the first time! Thats why i refer them to the Atom bomb musically, because when i heard them, It seemed like everything else that i was listening to prior to JFJO was just blown away. I had been so attuned to bluesy minor pentatonic scales, jamband major scales or just plain riffage, but JFJO didn't seem to follow that. As Gandolf would say, they play exactly what they mean to :)

7. shizack

shizack

Aug 24, 2004
    The album that changed my listening preference was "Glass Houses" by Billy Joel. Until then I listened to fringe country (Hank Jr., Waylon, Johnny Cash) and southern rock. This was also the first non-compilation (K-Tel, soundtracks, best-of) album I ever bought.
    However, the album that almost literally changed my life was "The Wall" by Pink Floyd. I was already into Floyd by the time I discoverd "DSOM", but if I had discovered that one first, the result would have been about the same.
    Things stagnated for me for a while, then along came Tool and Disturbed and my speakers have never recovered.
    MANY other albums and artists come to mind, but "The Wall" was the transcendent moment of my life.

8. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    R.E.M. - Out of Time: The first CD I ever bought.

The Who - Quadrophenia: Made me fall completely (sometimes frighteningly) in love with concept albums and rock operas.

Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight: The album that got me into music and through high school.

Opeth - Still Life: "OOOOOOHHHH!!!! So THAT'S what metal's supposed to sound like..." - Me at 16 first hearing Opeth as i pick my jaw off the floor.

Good thread.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    There are a lot, some already mentioned in this cool thread. Here's just a few....
    Free- 'Live' Andy Fraser really nailed note placement for me.
    Allman Brothers- ' Live Fillmore' Berry Oakley and the band showed how to jam and not be boring.
    Jaco- forget about it!
    Hendrix- 'Band of Gypsys' the reason I play!
    I saw all of these people play live and they all gave me the jones to pick up bass.

10. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Fun thread!

- Relayer... Yes.... that was my introduction to 'fusion', complex time and stunning chops (for better or worse!).

- The 'classic' Fusion albums IMO:

Romantic Warrior - Return to Forever.. the first time many of us heard Stanley

Black Market/Heavy Weather - The first time many of us heard Jaco

Jeff Beck 'Blow by Blow - rock/jazz vs. jazz/rock

- Phil Woods - 'At the showboat'.... the first true, smokin' Be Bop recording I heard that had good sound quality.... still stunning to this day

- David Sanbourn... A Change of Heart.... that was IT for me regarding bass tone and groove Chicago Song... still sounds great today

- Joni Mitchell... The Hissing of Summer Lawns.... pop/jazz at its best IMO... Joni moving from folk to more complex changes and themes

- James Taylor 'Double Live CD'.... the best pop rhythm section I've ever heard.... Carlos, Jimmy Johnson, Don Grolnick.... my template and inspiration for playing in a pop setting to this day.

11. Limp Bizkit - 3 Dolla Bill, Yall. Ok ok ok, laugh at it all you want. But this was my first ever rock record. And it wasn't all that bad. I was 11-12ish. After I got this, I decided the country/oldies music my parents raised me on absolutely sucked.

The Offspring - Ixnay On The Hombre. Hey, rock music is good! Wait...what's this word "punk" people keep mentioning to me about them? What's punk? (Age 13)

Blink 182 - Dude Ranch. My coming of age album. I was about 13-14 when I grabbed this. Still my favorite record of all time...songs about growing up, and I could connect to a lot of them. Probably the first album that truly made an emotional connection with me.

Bad Religion - All Ages. My first "real" punk record, depending on who you consider punk. The effects are still reeling to this day.

Bad Religion - No Control.

Oops, out of time. To be continued...

12. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    Oceansize - Effloresce
    Interpol - Turn on the bright lights
    Bob Dylan - Blood on the tracks
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Van Morisson - Astral Weeks

To name but a few...
    These are for me the most intense albums and just feel perfect from the beginning until the end.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You can sure tell our age and musical interests by this thread.:cool:

14. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Great thread!

I was playing bass for about 3 or 4 years before any albums really affected my playing. I never really listened to or was moved by the bass until these albums. Hear they are:

1. Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
    This album came out when I was 13. Flea really opened up my mind when it came to defining what it meant to play bass. I probably listened to this album a million times and learned every tune note for note.

2. Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese
    This album came out in '91 same as RHCP's BSSM. Being in a punk/rock phase at the time I had a much more difficult time appreciating this music than the RHCP, but I knew that Claypool was doing something different and I liked it. This album helped me see bass playing in a different light. I was hearing sounds that I didn't know were possible on bass.

3. John Scofield - A Go Go
    This album came out in '98 during my freshman year in college. I was able to see this group (Scofield and Medeski, Martin, & Wood) perform with Charlie Hunter as the opening act. This album and that show opened a door into jazz, funk, and eventually R&B. I was hooked on hook, jazzy instrumental melody, and funky drum beats.

4. Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    This album pioneered my exploration into jazz. It was the first jazz album that I foud accessable. All others seemed too difficult for my immature ears to understand. Learning about Miles, and all the musicians that played with him, lead me to so many other greats: Coltrane, Herbie Hancock, etc.

5. Jaco Pastorius - Self Titled
    I'm sure I don't have to say much about this album. It will be a long time before another album can do to me what this one has done. This album is simply amazing, and still to this day is a great source of inspiration.

15. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Great band and a great bass player!

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Slipknot-Self Titled : This was the first record I had ever heard where I liked every song. Until the let down that was "Iowa", Slipknot were kings in my book. They made heavy, catchy music that I really dug. I still listen to that record every now and again, and I know they've been spoiled by lacklustre albums and live shows and whatnot, but this album represents a really special time for me. Being 13 was cool.

Metallica-Master of Puppets/Load and Reload: These three records hinted at a progression for me. Metallica's electic tastes really hit me hard, like Slipknot, I don't listen to them a great deal now, but I think I should. Songs like Hero Of The Day still move me, they're enduring classics.

Stuart Hamm-Kings Of Sleep: This was the record that really introduced me to the technical side of bass, as well as containing some of the msot catchysongs ever. I fell in love with everything about this record, the tones, the sunny, 80's vibe, everything. Stu's now onw of my top three bass players, and with good reason. I still listen to this one a lot, it's just amazing. It's not only one of my favourite Stuart Hamm records but one of my favourite records full stop. A land mark for me, it's probably the record that has had the most influence on me with a player, not jsut technically but in a melodic sense too, I always try to make the best, most tuneful music I can while putting the melody first, as Stu does.

Rush-Hold Your Fire: I discovered Rush through Grace Under Pressure, but when I heard this, it was something else. I had a lot of Rush stuff then, Signals, Moving Pictures, Permanent Wave, and I didn't know they could get any better. And then they did. Every single song from front to back is a pure classic, and I still discover and hear new thigns when I listen to that record. Have you ever wanted your existence to be consumed by the beauty of the music you love? Thats how I feel about this one.

Jonas Hellborg-Elegant Punk: Jonas is another favourite of mine. I realised how groundbreaking this record is when I thought about the world it was released into. A record of completely solo bass, no backing instruments? I'm still not sure if it had been done before Jonas did it. His way of playing speaks to me, his lyrical, vocal phrasing is very emotive, and I try to bring some of that "from the heart" vibe into my playing. This is another album I can listen to from front to back, it's so good.

I've been influenced by so many records and players and have so many that are special to me, but I think these ones are my landmarks. While they havn't all directly influenced the way I make music, they're all stepping stones to where I am now.

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The Beatles; Red and Blue compilation
    My first favourite band, I remember reading a book in 3rd grade with the Beatles on. Good times

Cream; Live Cream
    White Room, Sunshine of your love, etc. One of the first bands I listened to.

Nirvana; From the muddy banks of the Wiskah
    Being a 12 year old on the verge of puberty, I really became a diehard Nirvana fan. I even remember when and where I was when they announced Kurt died, although I was 8 at the time, and not a Nirvana fan at all. Very cool. Still one of my favourite bands.

Mayhem: Mysteries Dom Satanas
    The beginning of my Metal-being. Great record, made me realise that BM really is my favourite metalgenre, and not Death Metal.

RHCP; BSSM
    Aaaah, first introducting to da funk baby! Highly influential on my bassplaying, I teached myself bass by just obliging myself not to stop practice before I could play the entire album. And I didn't stop.

Pink Floyd: The Dark side of the moon.
    Revelation. Period.

Jaco Pastorius; Jaco Pastorius
    Although I didn't grasp the music at first, I was completely blown away by the way Jaco played the bass. I didn't knew bass could be played like this. Essential stuff.

Wu Tang Clan; Enter the Wu Tang and The Roots; The Tipping Point.
    My first hiphopalbums, made me realise good hiphop isn't all about ho's and bitches, but it's about Groove, Flow, Delivery and Lyrics.

Aphex Twin; 26 Remixes for Cash

My first 'electronic' album, a bomb, and I heard that electronica nowadays is sometimes more inovative that any rockband out there.

18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I noticed I have presented quite the task, asking musicians to talk about their favorite albums can result in some lengthy conversations. ;) I like seeing everyone's musical evolutions, it's interesting. I mean, I went from goth rock (manson) to prog rock!

So, what this means....... I still wear capes and makeup... not much has changed.

19. Hmmmm...
    Cradle Of Filth- "Midian": Got me started on extreme(ish;))metal.
    Ministry- "Psalm 69": Heard this about the same time as CoF, sent me down a different route of metal.
    Garbage- "Garbage" and Blur- "Parklife"- My dad had a tape of these 2 albums which my dad, my sister and I would listen to a lot. Memories of childhood, I guess...
    and finally... Strapping Young Lad- "City": Something just totally clicked for me when I heard this. Reminds me of a few years ago, still totally exhilarating.

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey velvetkevorkian, is that your band name or something? I like it for some reason, it's :cool: