Personal politics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cafepurgatory, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Last night I'm over at my guitarists house with the guys, just hammering out some rough spots in a few of our originals, and the drummer says, "Hey guys, I wrote some lyrics last night, let's work something out for them!" I figure this is great, the drummer taking a more active approach to songwriting (and perhaps helping to improve the image of drummers as musicians ;) ) so I read them.

Now, I'll play just about anything, but when I read these lyrics I was truly appalled at the fanatical racism in them. If there is one thing in this world that I honestly despise, it is racism. I told him that, while I think he has a great lyrical sense (the thing was well written, even if I didn't care for the message in it), I cannot and WILL not be part of cultivating or promoting the ideas he was presenting. Naturally, this caused a little bit of friction, and wee wound up calling it a night shortly thereafter.

What I want to know is, do you think I was being an a$$hole about this by refusing to have any part of the song? What would you have done in a similar situation?
  2. u did the right thing. personally i have to enjoy every part of a song to put my full abilities in it. if i dont like the song i just cant play it.and i think that all members of the band should like the song to make a truly good piece of music.
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    You had the guts to stand up to your peers and speak your mind. Many people don't. Good job!
  4. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Good job. I agree with you completely. I don't even like songs that I write or have any part in writing to have cussing in them. I think there is a better way to get your point across to people.

I admire you for standing up for what you believe in. You don't see that enough these days.
  5. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Bravo! You did what Slash could never do and rejected some ****ty lyrics. In answer to your questions, NO you were not being an @sshole. I would have done the exact same thing. :)
  6. Since you mentioned it I was wondering if the G'nR song you speak of was meant to be taking literally or what. I have always assumed otherwise. Axle is an idiot so I wouldn't doubt it.
  7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Congratulations, cafe! Seriously. He's the a$$hole.
  8. purple_haze

Jun 29, 2001
    London Town
    Well Axl's done some pretty stupid stuff in his time, and I figured "One in a million" was the last in a long line. I think he meant it. People say things in songs that they wouldn't say otherwise, and I really think that he showed some of his deep personal prejudices. Since then I read somewhere that he's ordered the song to be taken off all new prints of "Lies".
  9. First off, this is ARA punk using voleceq's computer.

You did the right thing. IF you had gone along with it and said "I'll just play along with it and as long as im not singing it wont make a difference." What kinda person would that make you. It is like saying, "who is crazier?, the crocodile hunter climbing a 100 foot cliff, or the man carrying the 45 pound camera climbing behind?" Anyway. Im not sure if i made much sense, so, im going to go and the last thing im going to say is that if we tolerate the least amount of racism, that is the same thing as us being racist ourselfs.

ARA punk