Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Personal preferance - Les Paul or SG?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Just curious, my brother and I have been having this 'argument' for about 6 months now. He thinks the Gibson SG body is ugly as sin, and thinks the Les Paul body is the greatest thing on earth. Or at least one of them.
    And then you have me, I prefer the look of the SG body over the Les Paul, but only slightly.

Just thought I'd see if I'm the only one on this matter...:p
    Almost all of my friends (including my band mates) don't even know which is which...then again, all they've ever really seen are the 'typical' Strat & Strat copy bodies. :D

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Fender Strat!! :)

Actually I grew to really hate the sight of the SG in the 70s/80s as a lot of rhythm guitar players favoured these and the sound was always muddy, horrible and worst of all too bassy!! So it meant that as the bass player you were constantly fighting against this.

I think it's like "aversion therapy" and now I just hate the SG with a vengeance and love the strat, for it's clarity - i.e. you can hear the bass player as well! ;)

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think the SG is a beautiful guitar, but I'm partial to the Les Paul, especially the ones with the gold top and the cream colored pickguard.

Will C.:cool:

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have similar experience. Between the SG and LP it has to be the LP but I traded one for a Strat. Most of my favourite guitarists use a Strat. They look better play better and sound better IMHO.

5. The SG is the best looking guitar made. Hell, I even own one. Plus, it's extremely easy to play.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t think I´ve tried Les Paul, but I think the SG is GREAT! I really like playing it, but I have always loved the looks of the Les Paul and if it is as good to play it as I think it is....then...it is better..

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    In my former band one guitarist had an Epihone Les Paul, the other guitarist had an Epiphone SG-replica. IMO the LP looks better, the SG feels better. The LP sounded really nice when played through the clean channel, while the SG had a bit more bite when distorted. When we recorded, the LP sounded quite harsh and fuzzy, while the SG had a lot of balls and chunk - although I think this has more to do with the amps that were used.

Who wins? Neither. I'm a Strat-man... :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Les Paul! I hate the shape of the SG!

On another note, why are SGs so darned heavy? The Gibsons are made of mahogony, which is supposed to be a fairly light wood, but real SGs are heavier than almost any bass i have ever picked up, except for northern ash Jazzes, Stingrays and G&Ls.

9. the SG is my dream guitar! after being an avid fan of ian mackaye and fugazi for years, i simply associate the SG with greatness. looks awesome.

10. Maybe you have the two confused. SG's are extremely light. Les Paul's are heavy.

11. i like the les paul but love the SG, i am a bass player so i can't tell you about the tone of them but i like the SG's looks better. i always vote for the underdog.

plus the SG looks evil the les paul is pretty.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Matthew, I know that Les Pauls are heavy, but they are very thick, too.

All of the real (Gibson) SGs that I have picked up are heavier than any of my basses except my Fender MIJGLS Jazz.

Now those Epiphone SGs are made of agathis or basswood or something and feel like a toy.

And Les Paul studio models are actually quite a bit lighter than mahogony SGs. They are about 1/2" thinner than a regular Les Paul but they must be semi hollow too, because they are about 3 lbs lighter than a regular Paul.

13. Les Paul Guitar, Fender Jazz Bass

14. i used to hate the look of Les Pauls, i have no clue why, just did, and loved the look of the SG. Now, for some reason, i hate the look of SG's, and love the look of Les Pauls. I have no clue why. Also, i dont like the way SG's fit on a strap, with the strap button way down by the neck joint, its just not very comfortable for me. but if you wanna talk about ugly gibsons, what about the gibson explorer? it looks like a BC Rich or somthing.

15. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I like both, but I'm really partial to the SG. I've worked with 2 guitarists who've used them, and a few of my favorite players also use them. They have a nice biting tone that cuts through during solo time, and I find the rhythm is nice and crispy.

16. Yertle The Turtle

Yertle The Turtle

Nov 15, 2000
    Althought very close between a Les Paul Studio and SG, I think I would have to either say (older) Fender Strats and Teles :)

Best sounding guitars I have ever heard.

17. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Excluding neck through guitars (yes they exist,I have one),the SG has the fastest neck around,and experimentation with pickups can get a good variety of sounds.I had a 1970 SG that I dropped a pair of original PAF's from a trashed 335 into,and it screamed sweetly until it fell off a stage and the neck split at the headstock (Gibson's Achilles Heel.)Most Les Paul's I've owned or even just checked out were too heavy for me,but the new Smartwoods Les Pauls are light and quite attractive IMO.

18. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Les Paul Custom - Fully bound ebony fretboard with block MOP inlays and fully bound headstock with the split diamond inlay - Fully bound body, front and back - Flamed maple top - Sunburst finish. :D

There hasn't been an SG made that will compare.

I like SG's, but LP's Rule! (and I have owned several of each, but now I'm down to just one Les Paul).

19. Ouch! Come on they are not that bad! The guitarist in my band has 2 strats, an SG and an Explorer. For looks, SG. For tone, the strat with the HB at the bridge. Les Pauls (despite all the kudos+nice looking wood) don't look as cool as SGs IMHO.

20. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Did you ever see Pete Townsend play?

SG!!!!