Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Personal relationships with your DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Zenbass22, May 28, 2001.

1. Zenbass22

Zenbass22

May 28, 2001
    Flint, MI
    So, would playing with a trio or quartet be considered a Minage a tua?

2. Menage a trois??

I dunno. Is the bass a flatback or a swellback?

I think I prefer curves.

Of course, I just have a gadget bass, so I can only look with longing at those magnificient basses.

FF

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Spellcheck22,

Welcome to the board! Umm, what was the question again?

4. Zenbass22

Zenbass22

May 28, 2001
    Flint, MI
    Oh, you see I was trying to sound funny and add on to all the jokes about have extra-curricular relations with an instrument, but reading over my post, I realize that in fact I am an idiot.

I do have a question though. I've been getting in to DBs since I acquired one a year and a half ago from the choir loft of my church. Despite it's less than stellar condition, I was unbeleivable lucky to have it given to me for absolutely nothing by the pastor. Anyways, I'd like to learn more on the subject for stuff like strings, pickups, etc. What's a good resource for that stuff (ie. magazine, whatever). And....what's the difference between a flatback and a swellback?

Thanks!

again, sorry for the stupid, pointless question earlier in my existence.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'd start by reading the archives of this forum. Do you know how to use the search feature? I did this for a couple of months before I ever posted....there was so much stuff there that addressed so many questions I had that I was in "read only" mode there for a while. Once you've done that, if you still have specific questions just post them in the appropriate forum and a bunch of old farts will come by and attempt to answer your question and make fun of you at the same time...you know, kind of like "Click & Clack", Double Bass style.

I know that there are some other bass forums/boards/sites out there, but I usually find this one the most helpful. (ALL HAIL) Bob Gollihur's Double Bass Links Page at his website is about the best cyber-reference I've seen for the bass. Search for any post by Bob, and chances are you'll find a link to his homepage. If you decide to go there, don't have anything scheduled for the next couple of hours - you won't want to leave.

Good luck.

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've been down this road recently, too, Zen. Chris's suggestions are good ones, and I'd like to add that I found the 2XBASSLIST archives pretty helpful too. There's a link on (All Hail) Bob Gollihur's page. However, you might want to limit your use of that resource to the Search Engine...that will get you lots of info. A subscription to the list will just discourage you at the moment, though..it's been temporarily taken over by a group of people who care nothing about assisting new players, and there's little good info being passed around at the moment. You'll find most of the helpful folks are also here on Talkbass anyway.

7. erik II

erik II

Jul 11, 2000
    Oslo, Norway
    I am sort of a newbie, and the archives here and in 2xbasslist have lots of info that has been of great help to me. The procedure I followed: Search, copy and paste into e.g. a Word file, arrange after subject, print, make coffee, put on a record, seat yourself comfortably equipped with marker pen, start plowing through.

It is easy to get carried away by all this info and tips in the beginning. If possible, consult experts (players/luthiers) for a closer judgement of what is right for your particular bass and playing situation.

Well, I have both, so this is what I know; A flatback has... well, a flat backplate, usually (always?) with a slight chamfer towards the heel of the neck. There are also cross bars on the inside to support the backplate. On a swellback the backplate is curved in pretty much the same shape as the front plate, with no cross bars. Flatbacks are easier to make, but may be more prone to cracks as the wood expands/contracts along one plane only. I have had problems with mine as the cross bars have come loose, causing rattles and buzz. This may have been caused by backplate movement due to change in air humidity (a subject thoroughly discussed, as you will find out :)).

8. Zenbass22

Zenbass22

May 28, 2001
    Flint, MI
    I'm starting to get the hang of how all this stuff works, thank you all very much!