Personal review on my first bass stack PLZ!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Boredwithabass, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Alright first of all im brand new to here to please bear with me

ive been playing for only a year about 8 months, and just yesterday i finally got my first bass stack.

its almost 7 feet tall (ya.....seriously..)

-Peavey mark IV series bass head
    -Laney 4x10's
    -Laney 2x15's

now this stack was used, not quite sure how old it is, the head has a little copywrite symbol and 1982 so im guessing that would be the year it was made.

I got it from a rather small music shop called House Of Guitars. for only $600 bucks.

so far, and i say this probably inaccurate because of my lack of expeierence. it has great tone.. awsome low end.. and its incredably loud... i turn the 2 post gain knobs to 5 and you can hear it down the street! (thats with the pre gains at about 2-3)

now my reason for posting is i would really like to know what im dealing with or at least some type of input on this monster. from what i can tell heres the flaws ive found about it..

-the second speaker in the 2x10 is pushed in.. dont think its fixable without having to take it apart.
    -the back board of the 2x15 rattles...even tho the screws cant possibly go in any further.. me and my brother are planning on unscrewing the entire back board and putting stryophoam to get rid of the rattling.
    -the crossover knob just flat out doesnt do anything on the head.

well i think that about covers it.

Suggestions, Comments, or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Jeez... Not bad for the price buddy.
    I paid (AUD) $1800 for a 350w Hartke head and a generic 4x10!

That was a few years ago though..

With the rattling, try find the exact spot it rattles and work from there.

With the speaker, is it just the dust cap? Or the actual speaker?
  3. well, for the 2x15, the rattling is coming from the middle (up and down). but the rattling is really coming from both sides. me and my brother had tried pushing on both sides and the rattling stoped and it sounded extremely well. i mean the rattling isnt really that bad in the first place.. its only noticable when its at a moderate (moderate for the amp that is) volume.. or higher.

as for the 4x10, im not exactly sure what the dust cap is im guessing its the center most part of the speaker that pops out towards you opposed to the rest of the speaker. if im right then yes its just the dust cap thats pushed in.. and its not totally pushed in... the bottum portion of it is still facing this way.

now what ive done today was i noticed the head didnt have a fan in it.. only some vents on the top part of it.. so what i did to see if it could run without overheating was i hooked it up to my radio and played it for about 5 hours now. after periodicly checking everything seems fine so i guess thats safe. though im not sure if doing that was healthy for the amp?

an other thing... ive read up on the threads on ohms and i still am completly confused on it... tho i would like to know the watt and ohms this thing has. ii know the head is a 400watt but from what i can tell from the read posts its possible to not be able to push out 400 watts even tho you have a 400watt head.

im going to have a friend that knows a whole lot about equipment come over and check it out. hopefully he'll be able to tell me more information and hopefully explain the ohm deal until i finally understand it lol.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i had a mark 4 for years - great head
    the crossover won't do anything unless you run the lows out into the poweramp in of the head thru the 215 and get another poweramp and run the high out into the other poweramp and into the 4x10. (or vice versa amp wise).

The poweramp section in that unit was very common for the time. It has no fan but a large heat sink in the back that you wrap the power cord around. you can play it for hours with no problem. The amp puts out 300 watts into a two ohm load and 210 into a 4 ohm load. Peavey never specified what it put out into an eight ohm load but im guessing about 160. you're right, that head is LOUD. I played for years with that and an old peavey 215. I miss them both.

Having a pushed in dust cap isnt a big deal except for looks. The primary purpose of the dust cap is (ta dah!) - to keep dust out of the voice coil. The dust cap also has some highs coem off of it, but with multiple speakers you probably wont notice a thing sonically.
  5. thanks for the info, tho lol i dont know how exactly to run the lows into the 15's and the highs to the 10's. right now everythings equaled out pretty much.

so how do i do it?

AHHA! im an idiot... it says the wattage on the back of both cabs...

8 ohms 240 watts

4 ohms 250 watts

now a new that good? i feel so stupid right now :rollno:
  6. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

It sounds like a center brace. You may have to remove it and re screw + glue it back. Maybe put in bigger screws in back too.
    Try to (Very Carefully), using a vacuum cleaner with a straight round hose, suck the dust cap out so it is somewhat back in shape. It wont be perfect, but it wont be pushed in any more. (This wont affect sound either way).
  7. Congrats, you got a rocking rig.

As far as the dust cap, you have a couple of other options. You can take a pin (the sharp pointy steel kind used in sewing) and bend the tip of it sideways. Then stick the tip into the cap, catch it with the bent part, and pull the cap out. You'll have a tiny little hole when you're done, a teeny little dab of glue will seal the hole.

The other option is to replace the dust cap with a new dust cap from Parts Express ( ).

The Peavey's are pretty bulletproof, the old ones didn't have fans but had enough heat sinking, and lots of beefy transistors, to run 2 ohm loads all day.

8. stick some chewing gum on the end of a pencil earser. make sure it is sticky gum. let the spit dry for maximum sticky factor. Place sticky wad end on dust cap, and pull. Repeat as necessary.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    running the 4 ohm cabinet and the 8 ohm cabinet together will result in a net 2.67 ohm load which will be fine. the 4 ohm 2x15 will get twice the watts as the 4x10 but that's ok as long as you can still hear the 4x10 reasonably well.
    rock on dude
    glad it's you and not me carrying all that stuff :p
  10. Thank you all for the input

as for the cone.. i think ill just get a really small sewing needle and bend i back.

if theres anything else that you feel you would like to add or point out please feel free to do so ;)
  11. try using your vacuum cleaner hose (or attachment) to suck out the center cap. :)
  12. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    I use a Mark IV right now, and im looking to sell it. it is a great amp if thats what you need, i need more power right now so im looking to sell mine. if you havent already bought yours, PM me.

rock on
  13. Would that be the House of Guitars in Rochester, NY?

I go home to NY every year and I always stop by for some shopping...Congrats on the Mark IV; that was myfirst bass stack (with the 215BW).

14. House of guitars in San Antonio TX. their pretty wide spread if their in NY too.
  15. ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Try to (Very Carefully), using a vacuum cleaner with a straight round hose, suck the dust cap out so it is somewhat back in shape. It wont be perfect, but it wont be pushed in any more. (This wont affect sound either way)

I was totally going to suggest that. It works and it's not a big deal. do it