Personalising your bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Oct 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK, I am thinking of turning my warwick rockbass into a monster....firstly I want to take it down to the natural Carolena as I like its do I go about getting the paint off? Secondly, how easy is it to get big fat Musicman Style buckers fitted to it? Then I'd need some kind of pre amp, but I want to keep the passive option. Is it also possible to have the back sculpted to be nice and round(like the spector and higher end streamers)? Any help is greatly appreciated.
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    With the money you'll spend, you'd come out better finding a used Streamer LX.
  3. but that wouldn't be MY much would it cost to have the paint taken off the streamer?
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    DIY - 30-50 dollars and a lot of your time
    Paying Somebody Else - 150- 200 dolllars

The MM pickups would be a extensive project, I would seriously think about those for a while, as there is a huge margin for error.

I would back the previous guy up and say get a Streamer-shaped bass with soapbars. Rockbasses are alright, but you would probably spend more money modifying the bass than you did purchasing the bass.
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    I usually just change the strings and then sweat all over it at a gig. That's all it take to make a bass personal to me. In my case it really doesn't matter, I seem to sound the same no matter what bass I play.
  6. steal-o-matic

Apr 11, 2004
    when taking off the paint I would get it glass beaded
    glass beadinbg is the same concept of sand blasting , but sand is rougher than glass beads and won't cut into the body
  7. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I wouln't bead blast wood. try have more control with sand paper than blasting it
  8. It has a thick gloss shall i go about stripping this off? Or is the gloss just the paint that has been very highly polished?
  9. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Is it a solid colour? It's worth noting that most companies divert wood with nice grain into transparent/translucent finishes and use the more crappy looking wood for solid finishes.

If you fancy doing it yourself, bear in mind it's a hell of a lot of work. And you're not guaranteed that it will look anywhere near good.

Yep, I'm speaking from experience :scowl:
  10. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    First... don't.

Start with paint stripper, use a cabinet scraper and finish (in maybe a couple of years) with sandpaper.

Then cry because you wrecked your bass.
  11. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Put a ferret sticker on it. I think you can get some from eBay :eek:
  12. Look guys, it isn't totally solid, I can see through the finish and the grain is please help me with there somewhere i coudl take it to have this done?
  13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    That's no joke. There really is something to be said about that.
  14. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    If you want to have this done for you, then take it to a local luthier. You can do it yourself, but it is hard work.
  15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've taken the paint off a bass before - I sanded it off, and it took several days worth of work. They make finishes on instruments very tough, so look forward to alot of hard work.

Routing out a MM pickup would also be alot of hard work, and near impossible without a good router. I recommend having somebody do this for you. They'll probably charge you at leats $150.

As for rounding the back, I'd suggest not doing that. That would be a HUGE undertaking, and would in all likelyhood ruin the tone of the bass. There's a reason your bass is shaped the way it is - please leave it that way.

You're looking at completely overhauling a decent bass just to get a couple of new features that you may end up hating. Before you start in to what will be some seriously hard work, I'd suggest finding a bass that's a bit closer to what you are looking for, and then modding that if you have to.

Man, listen to me. Hard work, hard work, hard work. I sound like George!
  16. Well if it's hard sanding work then I'll do it easily, I've had to sand through cricket bat tape before, and that has fibres inside it, tough as hell. I dunno any local luthiers.....there seems to be a shrotage round york.
  17. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  18. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    jeez what a bunch of weenies.

rub the top layer of finish down with a lil paint stripper, dont let it touch the natural wood, it will soften up the finish enough to scrape/ sand off easyer. Just remember go easy on it, and dont take the body rouning off, it will take time and patience.

for routing the the MM pup into it, while the bridge is still mounted, draw a center line down the body to the neck, so you have a reference to moun the MM style pup. As long as you have a 1/2 decent rounter ( no plunge base routers! ) it shouldnt be very hard at all...

19. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Seriously Nick, cricket bat tape has nothing on guitar finishes.

If you really want this done, go here...

Paul is, by all accounts, an excellent luthier. It's worth the cost of sending the bass to Northampton.
  20. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    *In his best authoratative voice* Sir, move away from the bass, please step back from the bass

Seriously, I have to concur, just dont do it. It took me 3 times to learn that lesson. I wish I had this type of feedback when I was considering it....... The most I will customize a bass now is new pre., pups and strings.

Also keep in mind the sound of your bass will change after stripping; though whether thats good or bad is highly subjective.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.