1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

personalizing your instrument with stickers, paint, etc...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by biff malibu, Apr 14, 2006.

1. what are your opinions on this? have you ever enhanced your instrument or made it more inspiring by visually personalizing it?

2. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Respectfully....

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    ::shakes head::

4. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K
    If you put stickers and paint on your bass it will change the tone.....

probably for the worse.

as far as i'm concerned that kind of thing is all pretty stupid, i mean you save up to get nice gear and then go and stick stuff all over it.

if you want a fancy look to your bass do it right and get a luthier or a tech to give you a flame/sparkle paint job.#

Dave

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    I have do disagree, putting a sticker on your bass isnt going to do squat to change your tone. My personal opinion stickers make a bass look cheesy, but depending on the music you play, it could go with that particular style, such as maby punk. There are tons of ways to personalize your bass and make it look classy. For example, on my SX jazz, i made a wooden pickguard, and matched the stain of the pickguard with that of my headstock. Its personalized and good looking.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    It's your instrument, do as you please.

But it'd be a lot more effective to just play the instrument and learn to personalize your playing instead.

You're a musician - people will remember the music you make, good or bad. Not how nifty your bass looked.

7. nowhere did i say i was going to be doing this myself. i asked if you ever had. no need to talk to me like a child about how i should learn to play instead of decorating my bass and all that...

return to your previously scheduled jaco worship

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I have about 50 stickers on my first bass, an Arbor PJ beater. I also had about 50 stickers on the back of my first truck.

We were all teenagers once.

9. MikeRS

MikeRS

Aug 16, 2005
    Clinton, MA
    I find that putting stickers and paint that was not part on the instrument in the first place looks like pure cheese (60s "flower power" did enough of that, but peeling them off with some of the wood is what gave Chris Squire is sound.)

I would never put anything on my instruments, I had a sticker on an old keyboard that I put on when I was a kid, but removed it a few years ago before I gave it away.

Click on the link in my signature to see my #1 fretted bass, I would never dare ruin that beauty with a sticker or paint put on unprofessionally.

10. trog

trog

Nov 8, 2003
    Scotland
    Basses wear with age. That's enough for me :)

11. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I don't think any comments were meant to be a slam Biff... No need to get defensive..

12. It depends on the instrument really. If it is painted on (which I hate) like most Fenders than I can tolerate it, but if you got a high quality instrument with a good looking wood grain and a satin or somehing on there, stickers are like insulting the bass.

But its your bass, do what you think looks right.

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    A girl that was dancing all over the stage one night had a sparkly red heart decal on her cheek and at the end of the night she stuck it on what I... had in my hands... it's still there, I still like it...

14. fretless Bob

fretless Bob If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

Nov 27, 2005
    Harrow, London, U.K

you did not say that you were going to have a pro do it either.

and if different sets of strings and a good clean make a bass sound different why would'nt a big sticker make a difference to the tone?

you may like the difference but theyre will be a difference in tone.

Dave

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have stickers on one of my cases, never touch my basses though.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Stickers? Yuck!

MM

17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Exactly. When my mom bought my first amp (a Peavey Mark IV head with a 2x15 BW-loaded Peavey cabinet), it came with a Peavey sticker that perfectly fit between my T-40's pickups. It's the only time I've done something like that.

[​IMG]

18. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Something like that, I would leave on my bass.

I don't have stickers on any of my basses. I used to on my P-bass, but it just didn't look right. It'd didn't look sophisticated or mature.

19. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    :eyebrow:
    Are you serious? If you can hear a difference in tone after applying a sticker to a bass, and prove it in a blind A / B test, I'll eat my hat!

20. Nice. I'm totally digging the retro stylin'!

Of course, back then it was very "nowtro," right?