Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Perverse Preference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gut_Implosion, Oct 25, 2004.

1. It seems that in general, most bass players now-a-days are into solid-state amps, but I just love tube amps. Weren't metal bassists (though I do play plenty of other stuff)ESPECIALLY supposed to be the ones favoring the newer SS amps??!?!

I'm not saying I think its a bad thing, I'm just wondering am I really that black of a sheep in the herd for being a tube-addict in a world of solid-state-ers?

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I believe you will find some pretty hardcore tube junkies on this site, dude. Not to mention that Ampeg, Mesa/Boogie, Aguilar, etc., all still make tube amps. That means that somebody out there is still buying them. I don't think you're perverse as you think.

3. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    I'm perverse twice-
    Mesa Buster 2x10
    Ampeg V4BH

Both are all-tube (6L6GC) powered; Svetlanas in the Mesa.
    I also use a G-K rig, so I have a basis for comparison, to my ears anyway.

The tube head and combo are heavy (Buster WAY heavy), they require a bit of maintenance insofar as tube replacement and in the case of the Ampeg, biasing, and compared to an SS head, you have to use a bit more care in transport and set-up.
    Btw, I gig and play mostly R&B/blues, some jazz in small ensembles, pop, and Rn'R, not much metal at all in my case.

I am convinced it's the way to go for me though. There is an awesome resonance and thick tone that only a tube circuit can produce- not just overdrive; clean and phat as well.
    I love it----I must be perverse! ;)

4. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I remember my guitarist, in the hair metal days, trading in a Gibson tube amp for a Crate half stack. Cheap volume equals SS sales to metal heads. He probably would love to have that Gibson these days. He hated to wait for it to warm up. Ahhhhh childhood.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    God I LOVE waiting for them to warm up and then flicking the standby switch and blasting warm growly tubyness. :) Look what you've done now I want a Mesa 400+ and a MatamP GT06550(more than before I wrote this).

6. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I love tube amps. However, I have $0 with which to buy them.

7. I dont think i will ever go back to solid state, i love my traynors, a yba200 with 6550s and a yba-3 with EL34s

8. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Same here. I love my amp now (Aguilar DB 659, QSC RMX 850) but I'd love to get a Aguilar DB 728 to replace the QSC. Unfourtunatly I don't have any money to spend on a new power amp and I'm very happy with my current setup. All the money I have now is going towards a new cab. (Mesa 1x15 or Aggie 112, possibly Shroeder 1210 or 1212)

9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just went tube with my Aggie DB 728. It will in time crush my spine with its weight, but I can't get enough of it now.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm currently loving the hybrid amp thing. But every once in a while I think about tube amp warmth and smile. Then I think about tube amp weight and clutch my lower back.

If I don't stay with my SWR Redhead and Triad rig for like, forever, I will probably get a Thunderfunk and Schroeder rig next.

11. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Black sheep? Hell no. Why do you worry about whether what you like to use matches up with what others like?

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Perverse would probably be having an all tube head and then running your signal through a SABDDI to get some colour... ;)

Wulf

13. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've done that before.... REALLY BRIGHT "Hi-Fi" Jazz (EMG's, Moses Graphite neck.) Had to double up on it to warm it up. Didn't stay in the stable long. Got stolen after about three weeks. :scowl: