Pesky Feline

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SheepHerder7898, Mar 17, 2003.

1. I just got an Eden 210MBX and love it. However there is another member of my household that loves it too: my cat. He perches on it and gets hair all over it and is constantly trying to use it as a scratching post :eek: Any of you have this problem or have a solution?
  2. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio
    get a water bottle and spray him every time he jumps on it
  3. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I'd suggest getting a cover.
    And a scratching post for your cat.
  4. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    just de-claw it.
  5. Hmmm...

...try kicking it.

If that doesn't work, maybe hit it with a stick. I don't know, I don't own a cat.
  7. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    My cat sits on my amp when I play & makes these wierd chirping sound. At first I thought she hated the bass, but she sits on the amp whenever I play & chirps along.

Its really funny to watch.

BTW...A de-clawed cat is the way to go if your cat will live inside. Mine used to tear apart my amp but now she just chirps on it.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you do know that that de-clawing surgery was atually the amputation of the end joint of each toe.... right?

try keeping the cats nail trimmed short and if that doesn't help, get some 'nail caps' (little rubber cat or dog nail covers)
  9. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That's horrible. If you can't live with a cat without resorting to surgical mutilation, you shouldn't be living with a cat.

Find a new home for that kitty if the carpet on your speakers is more important than the well-being of your pets.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    De-clawing is cruel and disgusting. Do NOT do this!!!!!!!!

The simple solution is to do what I do to keep my kitty from scratchin': Cover it. That's all it takes.
  11. Man, I had a cat that did this. I'd turn on my amp, and the cat would start doing this faint kind of chattering meowing, I'd play the first note and he'd walk out of the room doing that chattering kind of sound. Weird.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Partly because of our cats, I now have covers for all my carpeted cabs. Before I did, I kept them covered with either the plastic bag they were shipped in, or a towel. My wife preferred towels that matched our (her) decor, but she's now OK with basic black covers. :)

I don't fire up my gig rigs at home, I use a little practice amp (tolex-covered). I know it's a PITA to uncover/cover your amp every time you want to use it. Again, maybe you can just drape a big towel over top, or fashion your own covering that would allow access to the speaker jack and also leave the speakers uncovered.
  13. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Amputating his toes is cruel, but shaving him bald won't hurt him one bit and it will solve the hair problem.

Then, videotape him chirping along with your playing and send it in to Funniest Home Videos. A bald cat singing would definitely win! Use some of the prize money to buy him a jacket in case he gets cold, and to pay someone else to shave him every 2 weeks because shaving a cat is a pita.

When I was growing up, my dog would howl along as I practiced my cornet. He especially liked B flat. My current dog is indifferent about regular bass playing, but he leaves the room if I play synth bass. His hair definitely clings to my carpeted cabs, but I just play with hairy cabs. He sheds so much that I've thought about knitting a doghair cover for them.
  14. I have my 210XLT in my bedroom to practice and my cat does the same thing.I fold a blanket over the top and drape it down the sides even with the front edge of the cabinet.This keeps her from putting little fuzzies in the carpet and me from wanting to kill her for doing it.This was my wifes idea and it works pretty well.
  15. Everytime I turn on my amp, my cat sprints in fear....I take hit he doesn't like loud low frequencies:bassist: :D
  16. Whenever I go jam at my guitarist's house his cats are all over everything I bring, backpack, instrument cases, and amp. They don't like any of his guitar gear, it makes no sense. One time we came back in the room and it was sitting on top of my cab and licking/chewing on my headstock as my bass was leaning up against it.

The only explanation I can think of is that bass players are always getting the most... cats. ;)
  17. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Buy the poor little thing a cat sctatching post playground thingy. Most pet stores have em.
  18. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    When I turn on my amp, my cat runs, my Mom runs, and my brother complains. I take it they don't like low freque... me playing.

My Dad shows me how to do it right though :)
  19. Don't worry, I would never have him de-clawed, my sister works in a vet's office and knows all about that. I use the cover method now, thanks for the suggestions. And by the way, I love my cat more than the amp.