1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

pet dogs and rat poison

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mpdd, Jun 19, 2017.


Tags:
  1. mpdd

    mpdd neoconceptualist

    Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Just a little public service announcement for everybody this afternoon that I didn't want to post yesterday on Fathers Day. If you must use bromethalin based rodent poison like Tomcat Brand for rat or mice problems on your property don't be cheap and clueless and just sprinkle the green cubes in your yard, actually buy the bait traps so you don't kill any kids, cats, dogs, mountain lions, bob cats, and or coyotes in your neighborhood. The cubes are made to smell and taste delicious and somebody who lives at the start of the hiking trail near me poisoned my dog Fuzzy accidentally by not loading them in the the child proof/dog proof bait traps. I'm hoping my dog is going to be fine due to his emergency vet visit, but he may develop symptoms 3-5 days after eating the poison. Ingestion of bromethalin can lead to an increased pressure of cerebrospinal fluid (the liquid within the membrane of the skull that the brain essentially floats in) and cerebral edema (the accumulation of excess water in the brain). A variety of neurological-based symptoms can result from this, including muscle tremors, seizures, and impaired movement.
     
    Stumbo likes this.
  2. OldDog52

    OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

    Jan 1, 2011
    Hope everything works out ok for your pooch.
     
    GregC and mpdd like this.
  3. mpdd

    mpdd neoconceptualist

    Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    Thanks Buddy, we'll know on Wednesday
     
  4. Good luck with poochie. Hope he'll be OK.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  5. Stumbo

    Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Good luck to your pup. Hoping for the best.
     
    blastoff99 and mpdd like this.
  6. kesslari

    kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

    Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Thank you for posting the reminder. We don't use rat poison at all - we have cats, who eat rats. Plus all the other critters.
    If you use it, use the bait traps.

    @mpdd I hope your dog comes out of this fine. Glad you were on top of it to get him to the vet.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  7. tangentmusic

    tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

    Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Hope Fuzzy is okay.
    Please keep us posted.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  8. Basshappi

    Basshappi

    Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Good luck, hope Fuzzy pulls through with no problems.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  9. All the best. Good luck Fuzzy.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  10. hbarcat

    hbarcat Supporting Member

    Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Excellent information. Thanks for posting this and hope your dog is fine.

    I have something to add that I think use useful.

    Many years ago, I was visiting a friend's house where he let his dog run around freely in his back yard. From the back porch, we could see that "Alex" had gotten into something behind the neighbors garage. He called the dog back to the house and we saw that he had bright green stuff around his mouth and we were pretty certain it was eat poison.

    He called the vet who told us to induce vomiting in Alex by making him drink hydrogen peroxide. We put about 8 oz in turkey baster and squeezed it all down the dog's throat.

    It took less than 30 seconds for Alex to start vomiting and he puked up piles of eat poison off and on for about10 mintes until there was nothing left but dry heaves.

    We took Alex to the vet and then a follow up a few days later and he was fine. The vet said with the amount of rat poison That was in his stomach, Alex would have certainly died. That dog lived to be 18 years old.
     
    mpdd and andruca like this.
  11. RadioactiveGuy4

    RadioactiveGuy4 Supporting Member

    Feb 24, 2011
    New Orleans
    I work at an emergency Veterinary Clinic and we actually have a rat poison patient here tonight.

    I just want to add to the message above. Just because you induce vomiting and get rat poison back up doesn't mean you can stop there. You need to follow up with a vet for treatment which is exactly what Hbarcat did.

    It can take days for the signs of rat poison to show and when it happens it is ugly and is a lot harder to treat at that point.

    So don't stop after your dog vomits. Get him to the vet ASAP.
     
    kesslari and mpdd like this.
  12. Tom Bomb

    Tom Bomb Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2014
    My Dad tells a story of how one of his mutts took a bait - probably meant for him, just quietly. His mother swung it 'round by its tail 'til it coughed up all the poison. That pooch survived. No worries.

    Nanna was a country girl. Do NOT try this at home.

    .^.^. Listen to the experts instead. .^.^.

    It's a bit rough isn't it, calling that crap 'Tom Cat'. My Irony Detector is going off. Dialing out :wacky:


    Good luck, @mpdd
     
    mpdd likes this.
  13. buzzbass

    buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

    Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    How did you know ? Do you see him eat it ? Hope he's ok.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  14. mpdd

    mpdd neoconceptualist

    Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    The neighbor told another neighbor thank goodness and word got back to me. Fuzzy is fine now with no ill effects, therefore I think the only cube he ate was the one he vomited at the vets. I'd like to thank everybody for their concern:)

    Here's a photo of Bernie Basset checking to make sure that Fuzzy was ok. image.
     
  15. Tom Bomb

    Tom Bomb Supporting Member

    Apr 23, 2014
    This makes my day :thumbsup:
     
    mpdd likes this.
  16. Inkdork

    Inkdork

    Jan 13, 2017
    Lancaster CA
    A couple years back, when I was still with my ex we had a renter. A real deadbeat guy. And we had squirrels terrorizing our backyard.

    One day I saw a squirrel check out the recycling, eat something, and 5 minutes later start showing neurological signs and shortly after it was dead.

    The renter had been told several times he would be looking for a new place to live if he used any sort of poison. I confronted him about it, he denied it. Later that night he was on the phone bragging about poisoning the squirrels.

    One of the dogs is an eater- if she can swallow it, she will, so i was really concerned about her.

    Eventually we did kick that d-bag out but only after he hadn't paid rent in 6 months... that's another story though.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  17. kesslari

    kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

    Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Woot for Fuzzy being OK.
    Ironically we discovered a rodent problem this week. Our ratter-cat, who is almost 18, has retired - she's pretty much sleeping all day and night, and not hunting. So the rats have come back.
    Traps. No poison, thanks. 6 dead rats since we started on Sunday. It may take a bit longer but it won't accidentally kill one of our other critters.
     
    Aberdumbie and mpdd like this.
  18. kesslari

    kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

    Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    One quick, funny story about mice and traps. Back when I was single, I had a roommate in Venice CA. We were a couple of bachelor guys so the place wasn't always the tidiest, OK? At one point the mouse turds in the kitchen became impossible to ignore.
    One of us bought 4 mouse traps. That evening we set them up in the cupboards. Tommy sat down to smoke a joint.
    He lit up and took a big inhale, and we heard the "snick!" of a mouse trap go off. We looked at each other. It had literally taken that little amount of time to catch our first mouse.
    He exhaled. During his exhale, we heard "snick! snick! snick!"
    4 mice caught in the course of one complete puff.
    It was really funny, in a pretty macabre way.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  19. buzzbass

    buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

    Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    that's cool, we have 2 bassets too. Buford T. Justice & Otis Dey.
     
    mpdd likes this.
  20. A problem here in California is the bait (poison pellets) used to kill snails and slugs.

    Its a different poison, but also lethal for pets.
     
    mpdd likes this.

Share This Page