Pet Hair and Duratuf - How do You Deal w/this?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billparks, Feb 9, 2006.

1. billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    This may seem trivial to all you non pet owners out there but I just got a new amp and cab that are covered in Duratuf. As the owner of 2 large G Sheps, one all white, hair clings to this stuff like 2 pieces of velcro. Oh I long for the days of vinyl covered cabs that would rip at the first opportunity...

Are there and fellow sufferers out there, How do you get the F---n hair off? ?
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    My wife uses a lint roller on one of mine.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Try starting at the root of the problem and reduce the shedding in the first place. Check out B.A.R.F. diets on the web, maybe its something for you. Its great for reducing shedding, removing the odor from them, bad breath, great teeth, all kinds of wonderful benifits from a raw diet. I have an artic wolf that doesnt shed, he molts once a year, and its insane. I wasnt able to go to a raw diet in my situation, but I did move him to a premium, all natural food, and it has done wonders for him. Its expensive, about $50 for a 35lb bag, but well worth it IMO.
  4. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    use a cover?

don't let the pet climb all over your gear?

i guess a lint roller would work, too.
  5. ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Its really hard to keep pets of your gear sometimes. Especailly if you have a very active cat that does anything he pleases while you're at work. Even shreds up all the toilet paper... Thankfully not the carpeting on my gear. :eek:

I use cover's or don't I mind gently vacuuming my gear every once in a while.
  6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    +1 on the lint roller

I highly recommend them

and buy them at the dollar store

Do not buy a pet hair roller, same product, huge price difference.
  7. theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ah just one of the many reasons I dont like pets or animals in general

I suggest keep the dogs and gear in seperate rooms
  8. all good ideas. I try to keep my gear covered but whem some evil critter mucks it up a damp (not wet) wash cloth will do the trick...but not one of the Mrs.'s fancy ones (ask her first )
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Lint roller. Got one in the gear bag.
  10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA off the carpet and Line-X it?

... ;)
  11. billparks

Feb 3, 2006
    Well as anyone owned by pets will tell you, they don't even have to get near your gear to have hair take flight and decorate the DuraTuf. A cover? Hell no I like to look at and play my gear w/o removing covers and stacking heavy stuff.

And no a lint roller does not work very well...

The best method I've found is using gaffers tape - Real Gaffers tape has an adhesive that picks up pet hair. Expensive though @$20/roll for the real thing...

I'm thinking about making Gunther a brunette so the hair will blend in.
  12. BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    I used to have the same problem

Dalmatian - sheds white hair everywhere, the back seat of the car is covered in it. I used seat covers but some of it still gets on the seats and then the cabs go in the back and get covered in white fur.

The cat is mostly white too so when the cabs were in the garage he'd sleep on them and leave long white fur on the black carpet.
    He's also claw them and pull of tufts of carpet.

The solution.......

Sold the carpet covered cabs (after an hour long cleaing session with duct tape) and got a Mesa powerhouse 4x12 cab that has a thick vinyl cover surface.
    Pet fur won't stick to it and the cat doesn't claw it.

It also sounds better than my three old SWR cabs put together.

Now if I could just find a way to get the pet fur off my black trousers.....
  13. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    In my case it's not dog hair - it's my hair.

For you, It might be a static cling problem. Which you can add Downy to water and put it in a spray bottle and spray on the speakers. Your speakers will smell nice too. Chicks dig it.
  14. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Re-cover your cabs in white DuraTuf.
  15. Heck, I just use wide masking tape, wrap it around my hand (sticky side out), and do it that way. It worked real well when I was in the military. Everyone would have this tape wrapped around their hands de-linting themselves and each other up till it was time to form up for an inspection. Of course with pet hair, you may need to use a few different wraps, but what the heck, it's cheap.
  16. Most oif th etime I donty worry about it. I just clean them up when I need to thakle them somewhere, with duct tape.
  17. Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Cook the pets and eat them...
  18. Man Dalmation fur is rough. Family friends used to have a Dalmation and that fur buries down deep in everything and you can't get it out.

I have a Corgi that sheds like crazy and two cats. The dog is rarely in the room with my cabs but her fur winds up all over them. Another vote here for good lint roller. If you use it regularly it's possible to keep the cabs relatively clean. Gaffers tape is good for the serious jobs, like cleaning before a sale.
  19. Slink

Dec 27, 2005
    Thanks, I have an American Eskimo dog and he sheds all year round. This is some vital info youns guys are sharing. Im from Pennsylvania can you tell.
  20. heat@500Hz

heat@500Hz Guest

Jun 11, 2005
    Lago Blanco de la Roca
    awesome dog, bill!:)

edit--btw, i have 2 white dogs, one lab/pit mix and one wolf-dog and my guitar 412 covering is that stuff, so i know what you're going through...i need a fix as well, because picking those sharp lab hairs out after vacuuming doesn't work takes forever