1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pet Peeve - loading in/loading out

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dheafey, Mar 26, 2018.

1. dheafey

dheafey Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Load in: when the guitarist lays his honking pedal board down before everyone else has brought their equipment on stage.

Load out: when said guitarist LEAVES pedal board on the floor while people are trying to get off the stage.

How about your pet peeves?

2. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    When the snake or 47 other cables are run right through my stage real estate. I’ve actually had folks run cables on top of my instrument cable. I guess in summary poor cable management......and yellow or orange extension cords.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Singers who think because they bring nothing to a gig they don’t need to get off their lazy ass and help out the rest of the band.

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Guitar cases put on stage before anything else gets laid out.

Stairs.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Mostly people who don't help out. I also hate when a venue doesn't have enough outlets to make it easy.

Both bands I'm in have it down. BL picks a spot, and drummer set up kit while we put up the mains and runs cable to them and for monitors. Then amps, and mic/pedal positioning last.

StarCrazy, grrg63, Skybone and 11 others like this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    When all my gear comes in appropriate boxes and bags, ready to be lugged around and the guitar player brings an old shopping bag for his misc. accessories and cables, while his other gear goes in the van unprotected, needing special placement/treatment so it'll arrive in one piece.

crguti, jamro217, mikewalker and 6 others like this.
  7. Hammonds...

8. soulman969

soulman969 SUSPENDED

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    2nd floor venues with no elevator. :rage:

Sav'nBass, basscapes, jerry and 31 others like this.
  9. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    It's a classic!!

One of our singers always say that we (guitar and bass players) are attached too much to our gear and there's no reason to load heavy/big/expensive gear to the gigs..

We're planning (in secret) to play a rehearsal with our bedroom practice combos just to shut his mouth up...

10. dheafey

dheafey Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Video evidence, PLEASE!!!

StarCrazy, basscapes, Mr_Moo and 22 others like this.
  11. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    • Preceding band that can’t clear the stage quickly.
    • Following band that stages gear in front of your band’s cases.

12. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    When you proactively show up early and set your gear up just they way you want it. Petal board placed, wires run just right, the power strips and outlets used accordingly and cabinets placed just right. Only to shortly return to find everything you’ve done trampled moved or modified in such a way it suits others.
    I hate having to babysit and guard my stuff against rude clueless people. These could be anyone not just band members. There never seems to be a lack of overzealous people who want to help but probably shouldn’t.

13. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    packing all my drums into the venue's "gear cupboard" (no green rooms here) – then going to get them later and finding various hipsters snorting rowdy powder off the floor tom.

I was tempted to give the drumskin a good hard hit and watch £20-worth of Colombia's finest go up into their hair and eyebrows.

14. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Folks wanting to strike up a deep conversation with you or your band mates while you’re trying to set up or tear down.

Folks who stand in the doorway chatting, blocking the only way in or out while we’re trying to move gear.

15. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    When the band wants you to set up in a high traffic area on stage, and then orders you around all night to move your equipment around so they can get in and out. I eventually stopped getting there early and showed up just in time to set up my own equipment after the dust settled.

kesslari, bmac314 and mikewalker like this.
  16. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    Boston
    Right cause most of the time they completely kept you in mind during set up and respectfully left you plenty of room and outlets for all your needs.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    yeah, they didn't do that either. And when I stopped showing up early, they called me and called me out because I wasn't helping enough with setting up the lighting -- which, by the way, they ordered me around about as well.

I quit that band. And then formed 4 others that are very busy.

18. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Hotels -- had a manager who wanted to get out and home, and decided to lock us out of the 20 foot load out to our cars, making us travel 2 blocks with our equipment to a door where we could then cart all the equipment to an elevator in a self-parking area. When I objected he told us "we could handle it". In our town, the hotels are expansive with very long load-in area due to convention centers attached.

19. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Worked with a singer who would call me before a gig. Here I am, my car and trunk full with PA, multiple basses needed for the variety of styles we play (electric, upright), with stuff slashed to the roof, and she calls asking "Should I bring my microphone stand?".

She has nothing else to carry. I finally told her to always bring her own microphone stand.

20. brocket

brocket

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    When the BL volunteers to take all the gear to a downtown gig in his truck, and mentions at the end of the night we are going to leave our equipment at the venue overnight so he can get drunk and take a taxi home.

The bandmate who did the least amount of setting up making a comment about how long set up seemed to take.

Band members showing up 7-10 minutes late. Late enough to be annoying, but not so late that it's worth addressing.

Also, the running cables through my area one. And the crowd conversations one. And the not enough outlets one.

petrus61, elkkid2, mikewalker and 2 others like this.