1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pet peeves about drummers..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bombpop14, Apr 29, 2010.

1. bombpop14

bombpop14

Apr 10, 2010
    Irvine, California USA
    Endorsing Artist Ampeg Amps
    I'm sure this has been discussed, but I'm kinda new to the forum.

Lately I get enraged when the drummer in the band before us (any band) starts breaking down his kit onstage. As soon as I see a drummer reach for the wingnut on his cymbals, instead of taking the entire stand off the stage, I run up and start asking if he needs any help. Just venting...

2. Most drummer's I've worked with are helpful, and smart about what, when, and how to go about things, so I'll list the bad things that may have only been the doings of one person.

1) Expects everyone to help him unload and load up his kit, while never offering to help anyone else. No really, this 810 is a breeze to lift into the back of my SUV.

2) No one needs to always be the center of attention, just because you've got good chops doesn't mean that you need to play like you're at a 50,000 seat venue without mics.

3) Along with the last one, you don't have to put a fill every two measures to show everyone that you're skilled.

3. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    I agree, they have to know when enoughs enough

4. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    i agree, my brothers a drummer and all he do is fill, fill, fill....as as if the entire songs are drum solos. :mad:

5. the yeti

the yeti

Nov 6, 2007
    raleigh, nc
    well, they're disgusting creatures. foul... smelling. i mean, they. smell. baaad.

:D

6. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Why so loud!?

7. Rich Treat

Rich Treat

Mar 29, 2010
    So far, everything that has been said about drummers can be said, and has been said, about bass players.... Just sayin'.

8. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    No, it's impossible for the bass to be too loud.

9. i have real ears not some fakey dobos like the ones by the sides of your head you dum drummer!! :p

10. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    Stop dragging the stick across the snare...that bouncy snare thing drives me nuts...

11. I agree with yall, drummers who do fills every couple measures and who play to damn loud. Your playing in front of 40 some people, you don't need to bang the drums as loud as you possibly can. Theres a difference between actually playing drums and beating them to death.

12. I only need to read like two of these & I TOTALLY appreciate my drummers- one came to my son's school talent show last night, and the other one & I speak in caddyshack quotes, greatly annoying the singer. Neither are guilty of any of the offenses I've seen kvetched about here.

13. bryceg2189

bryceg2189

Jul 24, 2009
    god my drummer annoys the crap out of me...when i start playing my stingray he jumps up and starts fiddling with my eq.

14. krafty

krafty

Mar 22, 2010
    Holland, MI
    I was in a very small bar once (~60 people) watching some local band and all I could hear was the drummer wailing on the damn snare drum. I didn't know who I wanted to kill first, the drummer or the soundman who felt the need to mic a snare drum in a room as small as my dorm room.

15. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    I totally love my drummer, BUT speaking of fills, he'll toss in a fill and sometimes its a little off in timing, so the end of the song he'll say to me "Hey man, you were a bit off in that one part..."
    Really? cause you're always on time.
    If the drummer is gonna mess around at least be on time, but hes gonna give me that look like I'm off, no dice hahaha

Our drummer played bass for about 4 years, so i really couldn't ask for much more, unless hes gonna admit i was on, and he wasn't lol

16. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    My drummer has bad breath and always wants to tell me a secret. But he sure can play.

17. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    I would definitely say it's speeding up during a fill and the next downbeat being early that seems to be common with alot of drummers. Grrrr...

18. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    When their kick pattern changes every repeat.

Also when their kick pattern doesn't match the written bassline.

19. yeah, that kinda pisses me off as well, but over here in Hawaii, we give other bands time to break down sometimes, so Its all G.

My biggest drummer pet peeve is when the drummer plays super loud at practice. I mean, yeah, practice should be like the show, but not so much that you blow out your band's ears in the small economy sized indoor livingroom with all windows closed.

20. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Breaking down on stage during a multi-band bill has to be one of the most annoying things drummers do. Even the drummers I play with complain about people doing that, it's stupid, your set is done, get you a$$ off the stage!

Other than that, I agree shifting tempo with a rhythm change is super annoying, but is rooted in not practicing enough. I've seen some drummers that do a lot of the things mentioned in this thread, but I feel like I've been pretty fortunate to not to have had to suffer through them myself. Time will tell I suppose.....