1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pet peeves about drummers..

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bombpop14, Apr 29, 2010.

1. I believe they prefer to be called "little people". :bag:

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I've been lucky with drummers in four great gigging cover bands: always on time, set up their own stuff, kept the drums tuned, kept good time every song and played with dynamics.

3. slyderhodge

slyderhodge

Oct 24, 2007
    Floyd, VA
    Associate Engineer: Mountain Fever Studios
    One of the bands I'm in I used to play bass in but now play guitar, when I was playing bass if I played a triplet at the end of a measure he would ALWAYS speed up like 1 bpm... very annoying... now that on guitar if I play half time to other guitar he speeds ups too.... ugh

Two other peeves, the very first drummer I played with thought it was funny to hit the 14" china every time I got with 2 feet of the friggin thing on stage... so when I would help him pack up I would take and lay it off to one side of the stage and ask him to just leave it. The drummer I spent the most time was a GREAT drummer on stage and really understood how a song would flow... only problem with him was he was a super helping kinda of guy and would try to load the trailer by himself while me and the other guys were at the merch table. This was great, except when he packed the trailer there was only room for drums, Subs and mixing board.... then he would leave early and the rest of us would have to unpack the entire trailer and then load it so we could fit everyone's stuff (drums went in last)

4. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Evidently, times have changed. :D A retired drummer I spoke with-in my youth said,
    "I seldom got the good looking girls-like other guys in the band, cuz of the time it took
    me to break-down my 'trap' drums. The other musicians would put their instrument in
    the cases, and pickup the girls, while I..."

Things were very different before amps and junk! :bassist:

5. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    The drummer in one of my bands wears earplugs and complains that he cant hear the guitars and needs me to turn down.I suggested he just learn the songs and take the earplugs out of his hollow head might help also!

6. elocke2009

elocke2009

Aug 19, 2009
    By far my biggest peeve with a drummer so far is the second drummer my band hand. Four weeks with him and he never showed up for one practice! The only thing he showed up for was the photoshoot! made me so angry! We're now on our fourth drummer in five months (1 & 3 were temporary from beginning) and he seems to be extremely solid and reliable...and boy's got chops!

7. bombpop14

bombpop14

Apr 10, 2010
    Irvine, California USA
    Endorsing Artist Ampeg Amps
    When I started this thread I wasn't "busting" on drummers, I just don't like it when they want to break down the whole kit on stage. We need drummers, we love drummers, the drummer is usually my closest pal in every band I have ever been in. The "rhythm section" is something I'm proud to be a part of. That being said, my favorite drummer jioke: What do you call a guy who likes to hang out with musicians?....a drummer

8. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I hate the fact that there aren't mute buttons on drum kits (other than electronic ones!)

9. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    1. When they think learning the songs is optional. (Drummer, to me, at a gig: "What song is this?" While I was playing the song. And there was a set list at his feet. I didn't answer.)

2. That thrash beat: oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH oom-PAH real fast - that one? But maybe that's just me.

3. Playing the beat they want to practice rather than the beat that goes with the music the other musicians are playing. (See no. 2 above.)

Otherwise, they are usu. my favorite bandmate.

--Bomb :bassist:

10. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    the drummer in my band is great... so long as he remembers the concept of dynamics...

For him it seems that "loud" and "louder" are the only levels at which he can play...

Perhaps if he didn't do so much coke... errr...

11. PunkSweeper

PunkSweeper

Jan 23, 2010
    Wait...I thought drummers weren't allowed to have big kits?

12. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I went with the Gmaj scale. The top heads are G B and D. The bottom heads a 5th from the top. For the snare, the batter is D and the snare A, matching the floor tom, but being an octave higher. The bass is G, at least as close as I can get by ear, to match the high tom in note.

Having the top and bottom heads tuned a 5th apart gives me a nice power chord tone.

I would love to have an electronic set where I could program the toms et al in keyed sets, to better match EVERY song I play with. Song in Amin? Press button for Amin tuning.

There is absolutely ZERO reason why the drum set cannot also compliment the tone of the song, while providing tempo and rhythm.

13. Mmmm, drummers that won't play to the size of the room... Do we really need those 130db snare hits at a living room practice? Or having to hit things between songs while someone is trying to talk.

-mike

14. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I have heard it once preached, "Practice as you compete". That explains the need by some gigging groups to practice with their amps on 11 and a drummer looking Animal.

As for the noodling/beating between songs, every musician is guilty of this.

15. leave it to caeman to be mr. positivity and reasonableness. why not let the ***** and monaers have their fun, already jeez :rolleyes:

:p

16. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Oh, sorry. It is a horrible flaw of mine. ;)

17. same flaw here. maybe we should start a "reasonable bass players" club

18. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    It could also be that I am trying to stick up for my stick-wielding brethren. :)

Insult one of us, and you've insulted all of us sorta thing.

Though, I will never defend a drummer with a lack of dynamics. I know a drummer that is too loud even when he uses brushes.

19. Subsist

Subsist

Jun 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Lazy drummers. I started jamming with a new band and wanted to know if the drummer was down to work in some practice between the time the whole band would jam.

At first he simply said he wouldn't be able to practice at his house with a bassist. Told him I'd bring the smallest amp I had and we'd just work through a few select parts that I was still hung up on.

He said it wouldn't fly and I suggested using my house since it was open in the day. He finally told me that it would be to much of a hassle to move his set to my house, only about 4 miles away.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    I don't understand, Subsist. The guy could practice on a drum set at his house, but not with a bassist, as well? Bass amp vibration aside, there are these things called 'head phones'. No amp needed, just a headphone amp box needed.

As a drummer, I like to keep things simple and to the point. If a flourish aids the song, okay, I'll do it. But, there are some of my bethren that have taken that little voice, the one that says, "maybe you should keep this part simple", and taken it out back and beat it to death so it cannot speak.

I have a similar rant against would-be guitar soloists that couldn't solo themselves out of a wet paper bag.