1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PETA asks Pet Shop Boys to change name

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    As opposed to when? They've always been nuts.

3. WickedPissah

WickedPissah

Jan 22, 2008
    Boston
    I wonder what PETA thinks of Cage The Elephant, then.

4. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Haha. I love the end of that article... "Sea kittens"... "Who wants to hook a sea kitten?" .. PETA is insane.

5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    An organization that is against the abuse of animals is a good idea, but these people are truly "out there."

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Change it to what? The Pet Shop Girls?

7. Hi.

Why there's always some people who make the important work look totally ridiculous :(.

Sawing off the branch You're sitting on, ring any bells?
    Kinda makes me doubt the "there's no such thing as bad publicity" quote now does it?

A few years back our (Finnish) "activists" did a spray paint strike to a professors home. True, that said professor studied testing with animals, HE WAS TRYING TO FIND ALTERNATIVES. Which he in deed had done and continued his work regardless of the uneducated ignorant idiots.

Regards
    Sam

8. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The Peta Shop Boys, obviously. :)

9. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Today is Good Friday. A delicious sea kitten dinner is in order.

10. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I wonder if McDonalds will start selling the Fillet-O-Sea Kitten sammich?

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    The Rescue Shelter Boys. Absurd. :rollno:

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    PETA has always been absurd. The sad thing is that deep down they stand for something real. I'm all for the ethical treatment of animals, I am. But I really think they end up doing a lot more harm than good to their cause by making themselves to appear as absolute dumbnuts.

13. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    Puppy Mill Boys...

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I wonder how they would feel about Chopped up bloody Kittens? Or Cats on fire?

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Pop quiz time:

More pets are euthanized every year by:

a) The National Humane Society

b) PETA

(hint: it's not a)

16. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Honestly, I don't see the big deal. Peta was just trying to find a clever way to make a point. It seems people often take the somewhat jovial campaigns they do to try and raise awareness and assume they're completely serious. It's not PETA's fault you guys can't take a joke... besides, what's it hurt to ask? Either way, it raises awareness of the issue.

17. I am a vegan, but Jon hit the nail on the head. PETA is a hypocritical bastard of an organization, and I do not and will not support them.

18. ive always been on the negative side of their actions, but mostly apathetic to their ideas. yea sure.. save the animals.. just leave me alone.

but thats asinine.

and i would run hooks through sea kittens ALL day long. and i love cats.. chicken of the sea.. does that mean we need to lop their heads off first? awesome.

19. I in no way see animals as to be mistreated or to be made to suffer. I think people who raise animals should be held accountable in their treatment of said beasts. However, to make it look like animals have the same rights as humans?
    Have you really looked at a cow lately? Anything that looks like that needs to be killed and eaten.

By the way, did you know that if one cow wants to kick another in the knee it has to be standing behind it?

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    They've become little more than a joke these days. And that's too bad, because I think the underlying cause is worthy.

This is a perfect example of why I think it can be a risky thing to turn an idea, philosophy or ideology into an organization. After awhile, the members only talk to each other and become more and more obsessive about their cause until they are just group of zealots, incapable of thinking clearly.