Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pete Duncan's Album...can you get past your bias?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZuluFunk, May 22, 2003.

1. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    No that's not the title of the album.

This guy really can play...

EchoFission

Booyah!!!

[​IMG]

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, you aimed for exactly those reactions in your first thread, so don't complain.

I listened through all songs, I like them, just a tad too generic IMO, and I'm not into Santana-isms like in Ideal Sky (track 05). I like the vocals and the rhythm section, but the jury is still out on the guitar.

Solid playing, but nothing out of the ordinary.

...brought to you fresh from Cologne, bias- and BSE-free. ;)

3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've been a fan of Michael Jackson's since I was in grade school. Sometimes you gotta separate the man from the work.

That said,I really believe that a person's playing reveals their true inner being. Technique and chops only go so far. This is why I like Wooten but dislike PD's efforts.

4. I've heard his clips before, so I never had any question that Peter could play. He just can't play well with others.

Mike

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Then you understand why many people detest the Ditsy Chicks.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :D

brad cook

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This isn't a slam and this isn't an insult (I've been misinterpreted in the recent past so I'll just make that clear) just an observation.

There are just some bassists/musicians who, because of their inability to act in a civil way socially, just cannot be mentioned without bad feelings and connotations no matter HOW good they are. I can think of more than one off the top of my head who crush PD in technical skills and musicianship (as subjective as that is) but who cause even more of a rancorous reaction when mentioned(some of you may have names come to mind but let's not go down that trail). No one really has problems with most of these peoples' music on an objective level I think, at least not for the most part, but when you have very negative personal experiences with them it tends to make you not want to have anything to do with them, musically or otherwise. I speak not specifically about PD or anyone in general. I never had any confrontations with him that I can recall and he is a great bassist! I'm just saying that it could be the reason that people just don't really talk about him as a bassist around here. It just leaves a bad taste in the mouths of too many people.

brad cook

8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Can you say "Jaco"?

If you can get beyond the person, no matter how distasteful, the music either has to be really special, or you have to get beyond being close-minded.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    I have always made public my love for PD's music

10. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    There's a fundamental difference between Duncan and Jaco. Let's leave out the fact that Jaco was a powerfully gifted musical force, and Peter is a high-level yet easily replaceable player.

PD is obviously socially functional enough to have earned a college degree and land himcelf a high-paying biotech job. This leads me to believe that he knows his internet activities are out of bounds. He simply craves attention in any form.

Jaco was not in control in his declining years and was not able to keep his out of bounds behavior in check. Don't confuse faulty character with faulty body chemistry.

11. odie

odie Supporting Member

Zulu- Im wondering what your intentions are of even starting this thread. Was it continue the discussion that was started in OT?? Was in to antagonize people into an arguement? Or maybe it was to actually say you like his music.

Obviously you know it was a charged subject. I just have to wonder what your intentions are.

Not trying to start a fight, or even showing disagreement. Just raises my eyebrow with a big mmmm:cool:

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think we may be being a little unfair here...

Granted, PD's activities here at TB (and, allegedly, on other message boards) were out of order, but how many of us have actually met him? Unless any of you have done so, it's not fair to pass judgment on his character like that.

As for his music, I don't have sound on this infernal machine, so I can't hear it, but music has nothing to do with what I think of a person's character. I can happily listen to the music of artists that I might not agree with.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Which is fine and dandy. But there was a big discussion about him in OT along with him getting banned this week while using an alias.

We didnt even need to know it was him, they would have gotten banned even if it was someone else.

I have mentioned that we should let him keep his alias and stay if he plays nice. But that doesnt happen. He is doing something to push buttons.

I respect his playing, he has given me loads of advice, I have had nice dsiscussions with him in threads. But he steps over the line.

Can we discuss him as a musician?? I can, but it seems alittle strange after what has happened this week.

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    hmm, I obviously missed that thread.

15. Offhand, I can think of several TB'ers in good standing who are very good players and who are also pleasant human beings. With those people, there's no real "bias" that I need to get past in order to appreciate their art. Why doesn't somebody start a discussion about some of them?

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

17. One-word take: "dated."

Seriously, this would have sounded great and hip in 1993, but right now it's just kinda silly. It sounds like the work, of well, a bunch of middle-class white guys in their 30s. Airtight production, blandly impressionistic lyrics, and no stylistic risks being taken whatsoever.

Is PD a skilled player? You bet your ass. There's a lot of Geddy Lee in his playing, although he doesn't wander around the fretboard as much. Does it compensate for the blandness of the music? No.

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Tough critic!!:eek: I listened to alittle. Nice grooves. Kinda Satana like. I need to listen to some more.

19. I would expect the same treatment of any of my efforts.

20. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    My intentions are pretty clear, I think.
    ;)
    Of course the discussion of his being banned brings this topic forward a bit, but no more than the thread you reference in OT.

I don't "know" the guy, but he sent me, and I suppose others, a message that his CD was getting ready to publish. He forwarded more MP-3's than you'll see on the band's site.

I do live in the same general area, and I have told him about gigging opportunities. I've also e-mailed him about his delivery on the board hurting his argument. It's no secret that I was probably "less offended" by some of his posts than others were. However, I took the guy at face value. I didn't search through his posts for text I could hold against him.

Now there are others who knew or worked with Jaco, for instance, who thought he was a jerk (nothing to do with his political positions). Yet they appreciate his work regardless. I guess we could say the same about Dann Glenn or Jeff Berlin. Seeing as there are many here who claim their distaste for PD is not based on his politics but personality, would they be able to appreciate his work?

Although he's no Jaco, I think it is a valid question.

If someone dislikes his work, I'm not questioning his reasons. I'm only suggesting he may want to question them.