Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jiles, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999 argument from me!
    The first 3 Chicago albums are essential, IMO(really everything up to Chicago VIII). ;)

"Beginnings" has a very nice bassline; then there's the Rock'd/Latin-ish bass inprov-in during the ending 'jam'.
    "Questions 67 & 68"...balls-out Rock.
    "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is"?...a nice shuffle with a couple bars of 5/8 thrown in.

...Cetera begins with some double-stops(Root-5), launches into a 1/16th note Rocco frenzy, & then hits on jamerson-ville during the verses. All that happens within the first 2 minutes of the tune!

I'm drawing a blank___________; there's a nice 3/4 time Swing tune on either the 2nd or 3rd album(I'll have to check).

From the 8th album, "Brand New Love Affair, Parts 1 & 2"...Part 1 is a Jazzy Blues, Part 2 is a R&B/Funk-Rock kicker. It's bad!(IMO).

The "pop" hits, like "Saturday In The Park", Just You 'N' Me", "Call On Me"...classic!

So, it's apparent that Cetera was a fit enough musician to cover a lotta territory(too bad he left for the 'greener' pastures of being a solo artist).

BTW, two other guys from the same era that 'fly under the radar'(nowadaze, at least)-
    Jimmy Fielder
    Harvey Brooks
  3. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    there is already a thread about underrated bassists, please post it there, as there is NO reason to have 2 of the same threads going at the same time. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.