1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jiles, Jan 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    underrated!!!!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...no argument from me!
    The first 3 Chicago albums are essential, IMO(really everything up to Chicago VIII). ;)

"Beginnings" has a very nice bassline; then there's the Rock'd/Latin-ish bass inprov-in during the ending 'jam'.
    "Questions 67 & 68"...balls-out Rock.
    "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is"?...a nice shuffle with a couple bars of 5/8 thrown in.

"Free"-
    ...Cetera begins with some double-stops(Root-5), launches into a 1/16th note Rocco frenzy, & then hits on jamerson-ville during the verses. All that happens within the first 2 minutes of the tune!

I'm drawing a blank___________; there's a nice 3/4 time Swing tune on either the 2nd or 3rd album(I'll have to check).

From the 8th album, "Brand New Love Affair, Parts 1 & 2"...Part 1 is a Jazzy Blues, Part 2 is a R&B/Funk-Rock kicker. It's bad!(IMO).

The "pop" hits, like "Saturday In The Park", Just You 'N' Me", "Call On Me"...classic!

So, it's apparent that Cetera was a fit enough musician to cover a lotta territory(too bad he left for the 'greener' pastures of being a solo artist).

BTW, two other guys from the same era that 'fly under the radar'(nowadaze, at least)-
    Jimmy Fielder
    Harvey Brooks

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    there is already a thread about underrated bassists, please post it there, as there is NO reason to have 2 of the same threads going at the same time. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.