Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Oct 20, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I guess so many people only view him as the singer for Chicago and an 80's "ballad-boy". But as I sat and listened to the first couple of CHicago LPs I realized that he is a pretty decent bassist.

Any other fans?

carsbybigd likes this.
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Sean -

Heck yeah!!! Peter did some great stuff, particularly on the early stuff. I get to play quite a few of his parts, as the band I'm presently in (but only for a few weeks now :() does several older Chicago tunes. Since you brought this up, I'll forgive you for the "boring" comment about Rush in that other thread....... :p ;)

3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    I always liked Peter's playing on those first couple of records. I was a trumpet player back then...really into the Chicago sound...and heard a lot of those cool basslines.
    So many people know him as Peter Cetera the "singer"...I wonder how many even realize that he WAS the bass player? :)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I've raved about Cetera on this BB for eons!

Sean-
    "Pretty DECENT bass player"...my a$$! :D
    Cetera kicks some booty on all those early Chicago records; in fact, I'd say the first 8 studio albums are "must have" material.
    Check out "Beginnings"(including all the figures he throws in during the ending imporov'd "jam").
    "Free" is an awesome tune off the 3rd album...Cetera starts off with some double stops, goes into a 1/16 note Rocco Pestia vibe, & then settles into a Jamerson-esque groove for the verses(this song is being played on recent Hyundai car commercials).
    "Saturday In The Park", "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is"?, "Just You 'n Me"...these were Pop hits! And some of the more obscure album tracks are even better!
    "Brand New Love Affair, Parts 1 & 2" off CHICAGO VIII is baaddd, too!

VH-1 just did a "Behind The Music" show with Chicago; I'll tell you what, guitarist Terry Kath was a muther!

5. old-timer1

old-timer1

Jan 31, 2000
    Cetera was and still is a very underrated bass player , he 'lost' a lot of respect because of those hit record's in the 80's because bass player's are not allowed to be top 40 rock cutie's as he was unfortunatly viewed . To that I say "dont look at an image , listen to the man play" .

carsbybigd likes this.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I always liked Cetera's work, even before I played bass. I like Jason Scheff just as well, although I guess it could be said he's just covering Cetera.

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I could argue AGAINST the fact that Jason is just covering Cetera for days. His style is just as melodic as Peter's, but his funk influences add a new bounce to the old tunes, and his tone is a lot fresher and more modern. I find that Jason's playing is more grounded, where Peter's tended to weave thru the songs more. That said, however, I love Peter's playing a lot. They're two different styles that are equally enjoyable to listen to. Scheff, however, is incredible. He has been my main influence on bass from day one, even over Jaco. He's the main reason I started playing. True, he doesn't get to show his stuff much while on the road with Chicago, but Jason is incredible beyond what most people realize. Check out his solo album "Chauncy" for more examples of this, and if you're in the SoCal area, check out his solo gigs he does with his own groups that have included guitarist Tim Pierce, drummer John Keane, and others in the past. I remember hearing from those in the area that he recently played a gig with Jimmy Haslip of the Yellowjackets where they traded of solos and comping duties, and it was INCREDIBLE. I just wish I lived in SoCal to check it out.

Peace.....

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Jason Scheff, too(I've been wanting to pick up his solo cd for awhile...though I've been told it's in a very slick/produced Pop vibe. Is that true? ...'cause I have already gone thru that phase & have plenty of stuff like that collecting dust on my shelf).

Too, when you say Scheff is more "grounded" & Cetera "weaves more thru the songs more"-
    Here's my take...Cetera, especially in the early days, was playing the songs & ad libbing/improv-ing his parts(similiar to Jamerson, for example; each verse/chorus was SIMILIAR yet DIFFERENT).
    Jason has the unenviable task of "playing the part" while attempting to put his personal stamp on it. Same goes for those who replaced Berry Oakley in The Allman Brothers Band.

Too, IMO, '80s/'90s Chicago ain't JAMMING like they used to in the '60s/'70s; I'm assuming much of their audience is now older & wants a medley of the HITS, HITS, HITS.
    Even younger music lovers, IMO, lack the patience to appreciate a band stretching out. There was a time when Rock bands were expected to stretch & not merely play the same tunes verbatim night after night. Hopefully that trend is beginning to reverse itself(a little)as bands like Dave Matthews, Flecktones, Phish, Widespread Panic, etc have gained a pretty decent following. Man, I'm rambling now...sorry.

Now, about TONE; I dunno, Cetera's Gibson bass & Ampeg amp sounded very good to me. Not "modern"(I guess), definitely "low tech"...whatever, it sounds fine to me.

...and I'd bet Jason's trio sounds baaaaddd!

tapp01 likes this.
  9. JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Jason's solo CD *is* in the pop category, however, it is NOT overproduced. That's one thing Jason said he was going to avoid. He wanted a very organic sound to the album, and that, IMHO, is exactly what he ended up with. There's a very fusioneque jam at the end that is incredible that really rounds out the CD. Check it out!

10. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    Unless it's Sir Paul McCartney or Sting!

11. sgraham

sgraham

Aug 30, 2000
    Tyler, TX
    BTW, I mean that in a positive, humorous way: these 2
    guys are amongst my biggest idols.

12. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Ramble on, man...

Which thread first?! Tull bassists or Cetera?! Where are all the Shrimp Limpd!ck threads??

Peter Cetera rocks. My all time favorite is "Feelin' Stronger Every Day" (listen to that space!), which has probably his simplest bass line, but it's absolutely crucial to the tune. Take that line out and it's a different song. Same with Just You and Me, Saturday in the Park (little tougher), Beginnings, whatever. No one but another bass player would even notice what he's doing, but I think his lines make some of these tunes.

And IMO, for a bass player, that's what it's all about - THAT'S what "driving the bus" means...

mrwood4 and carsbybigd like this.
  13. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yes sir!! Sorry Sir!! hehe...duly noted sir!! :D

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I read this thread the other day and didn't think too much of it. I have listened to Chicago but was never a fan. I think I've seen them in concert about 4 times, but only paid for one. I've got a friend who's a big fan, so the only way I go is if he pays for my ticket....

So, thinking with an open mind (for a change), a Chicago song came on the radio the other day. I have no idea what it was, but it was very old. Peter Cetera's playing blew me away! I had no idea he was that good! His line really drove the song! How does he come up with such good lines?

Well, thanks to all of you, at least I have respect for his musicianship now. I still don't love the music, but I do respect him now.

And, on a related note, I do think Jason Scheff is a very good bassist...I need no convincing of that.

carsbybigd likes this.
  15. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    scheff was great when i saw him live in 91.

didn't his dad play with elvis?

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Sean-
    Jerry Scheff played with Elvis, The Association("Along Comes Mary", "Windy", etc) AND was "almost" The Doors' bassist(Morrison's untimely death robbed him of that gig...I think).
    The elder Scheff is on the LA WOMAN album("Riders On The Storm"...didn't The Smithereens cop that line on "Blood & Roses"?) ;)

...the past 2 days I've listened to CHICAGO II & III while at work. Those guys JAMMED! Terry Kath is the kinda of guitarist/musician I would love to play with...
    (As I've mentioned countless times before, if you have a guitarist bud who's into Van Halen, cue up "Free Form Guitar" from Chicago's debut album for said friend. Keep in mind that this was a few years before "Eruption"!).

carsbybigd likes this.
  17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    You're a little late to play with Kath. He blew his brains out playing Russian Roulette many years ago. I think they replaced him with a guy named something like Danny Dacus. Boy did he suck. Kath could shred a bit for his time, but wasn't very accurate.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...yeah, Munji, I know about Kath; I still remember hearing that news on the radio.
    Not too sure what you mean by "accurate".
    Regardless, that's the "type" of guitarist I really appreciate.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Kath would occasionally get behind the beat (not in a good way) when he couldn't keep up. Also, his scales weren't always correct, probably becuase he was trying to just keep up with getting all the notes in the pattern. I also think his riffs were a little repetitious, within a given phrase ... you know, the same two notes repeated two or three times when he could have been leading into the next phrase. SRV was very good at making interesting transitions without repetition. Skunk Baxter's the same way. And, of course, Lee Ritenour is superb at it, but in a different vein. But heck, I'm just a dumb bass player, y'know?

20. JazznFunk

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Sorry, Munji, it wasn't Russian Roulette. It was a purely accidental shooting. They did a Behind the Music thing on VH1 a week or two ago where they clarified this. The rumor about Russian Roulette had been around for a while, but is false.

Terry was a monster. Hendrix told Kath after a show once that he was better than he was. He may have played some "incorrect" scales (if there is such a thing), but does it matter? It burned, that's what counts. Perhaps he was inventing his own synthetic scales. :)

carsbybigd likes this.