Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GM60466, Apr 26, 2012.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I've been listening to a lot of old Cetera-era Chicago lately. His tone was great back then.
    Your thoughts

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Early Chicago is really great; a far cry from their 80s ballads for sure. Peter was a really cool, driving bass player and Terry Kath was a very fiery guitarist.

47th Street and k31bassman like this.
  3. BigOkie

BigOkie

Nov 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I love his work on their early albums (up to Chacago V). After Terry Kath's death. . . , his bass lines on Dialog Pts I & II is excellent IMHO.

4. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Dialogue was a cool tune. Kath was such a great singer

progmanjum likes this.
  5. Cetera is one of the most underated bass players in history, as is guitarist Kath. Their yid/yang vocal styles (along with Lamb's) made the band SO versitle. They made some great music, but the band really died with Kath.

burk48237 and progmanjum like this.
  6. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    great playing and a really distinctive voice.

7. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

Probably my biggest bass influence . . . Heck of a player, and he could get funky, too. Listen to "Free", "What's This World Coming To", etc. :bassist:

47th Street likes this.
  8. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Well, it's been said in more than a few threads over the years that Cetera was a fine and inventive bassists. Even
    more surprising that he is a bit modest about the idea of him being influential to a lot of bassists.
    Thanks to Cetera, I now have incorporated using a pick on a few songs. His playing on the early, pre-David Foster - pre-schlock albums was incredible.
    I don't want to stir a hornet's nest and awaken the "pick vs finger" debate so, I'll leave that discussion out of this post.
    Did I mention he was a singing bassist? Unlike myself who is the musical equivalent of being unable to chew gum and walk at the same time.

47th Street likes this.
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Some "lesser" known Cetera gems-

"Brand New Love Affair, Part I & II" from Chicago VIII...need to listen to Part I (jazzy Blues) to get the full effect of Part II.
    ;)

"Skin Tight"
    "Scrapbook"
    ...both form Chicago X

FWIW, the verses to "Beginnings" used to kill me...some nice over-the-barline stuff going on.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    47th Street and progmanjum like this.
  11. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    Agreed on Cetera all the way around ... great player/singer in a seminal horn band. That said, I would agree with the "band ended with the death of Kath" sentiment stated earlier. I like them up through about Chicago V ... after which my interest, short of a song here or there, drops off a cliff. I'm fairly certain that Cetera played a P-Bass strung with flats - pick style. Most of the pictures I see of him are as such and it sure sounds like it to me. Amplification ... don't know ... but would bet on Ampeg if given decent odds.

12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well, it seems Peter owned one of everything! The early stuff, Fender for sure. But watch all the old youtube videos, and he has a Musicman StingRay, and a Spector NS1, and didn't he also have a Gibson Ripper?

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Maybe for you figuratively! The band literally didn't anywhere near die!

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

I'm in the same camp as So Low Bass.
    ...maybe they didn't die...but they're not alive.
    ;)

FWIW, though, I did like their stuff up until Chicago XI...Kath's last album.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Definitely had a Ripper (maybe owned by Producer/bassist James Guercio).
    The Bass Player cover that Cetera graced a few years back-
    He has a black Ric.

For me...it's Cetera with a natural P-bass that's burned into my memory.
    The Live In Japan disc, though, sounds like a Jazz.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Just starting to really check these basslines out. I've learned "Listen" and "Stronger Every Day" and right now I'm working on "Saturday In The Park". That drummer is a monster and they've got a killer groove together.

47th Street likes this.
  17. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I always thought Kath, Cetera, and Serafine would have been a mind-blowing power trio.

47th Street and fretlessguy like this.
  18. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I am with you on this one. Cetera has always been one of my favorites.

19. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

I thought the Live in Japan recording was Gibson EB.

20. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Here is a treat for you all.

Chicago (Live) - I'm A Man 1968

47th Street likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021