Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GM60466, Apr 26, 2012.

1. bassnewbie727

bassnewbie727

Apr 28, 2012
    Fla
    Same here. I really like his stuff. Just starting out playing bass I started to appreciate his stuff even more.

2. big +1 :cool:

3. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    That's right! ^^ :D

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You probably know better than me...listening to it, it just sounded more like a Jazz (than a Precision. I just assumed he was playing Fenders during this time frame).
    The disc I have is clear & punchy. If it's a Gibson bass...then wow, nice recording!

5. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Count me in as a big fan. Great tone and rubbery, inventive lines. I think PC, at least in the early days, was one of those players with a distinctive personality to his sound; you could tell right away it was him.

/rick

6. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    Once all three of these were gone, I stopped listening. These three were Chicago. I liked the horns, but without these three, the band isn't the same. Loved their music up until Cetera and Seraphine left.

Cetera was my influence that got me started and a natural Fender P strung with flats has always been in my stable.

7. BASSDROID

BASSDROID Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Huron, Michigan
    He did, and was a Gibson endorser for a minute but it seems he preferred the P Bass. I've never seen an example of him playing the Ripper live.

8. I saw him twice live and both times he played a Vox.

9. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I agree they are not the same band, but I still like their music. Bands sometimes have to adapt to survive the times, Stones and Rod Stewart had their disco moments, Aerosmith, ZZ Top also went a little mainstream, Rush and Yes in the 80s and even Metallica got a little commercial and I could list a slew of others.

47th Street likes this.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA

Just... wow.

11. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I saw PC, Saturday, in a shop near my house. He was buying strings for a 12 string guitar.
    I spoke with his manager yesterday, he said that Peter is playing guitar more than bass currently. He also said that PC played the acoustic guitar solo on "If You Leave me Now" by Chicago.

12. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I'll second that wow. What a great clip - the bluesy hard-rock Chicago that all but vanished later.

I'd guess that on a subconscious level Peter Cetera was one of my biggest early influences - I listened to Chicago tons when I first started playing bass, although I never really studied or copied his lines.

13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    Just heard this on a lPittsburgh FM station's "500 greatest songs of all time" show, as voted by listeners, and it was great to hear it again. So refreshing to hear the arpegiated lines PC played in the chorus rather than just thumping along the roots on straight 8ths like they do today.

14. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    From the 2007 Bassplayer mag interview:

Cetera began his Chicago career with his ’64 Fender Precision (featuring a rosewood fingerboard and custom Paisley-painted body). Though he tried numerous other basses—including a Gibson EB-3, Rickenbacker 4001, Gibson Ripper, and fretted and fretless Fender Jazz Basses—it was the P-Bass he kept returning to. He began with La Bella flatwounds but moved on to roundwounds, never quite liking them as much as the flats. His live amp choices were more transient, including Kustom, Acoustic, Sound City, Phase Linear, Orange, and Ampeg rigs. In the studio, Cetera generally recorded his P-Basses (he used producer James Guercio’s Precision on the first album) both direct and through an Ampeg B-15, at times with tissues stuffed under the strings for a bit of damping. Cetera’s bass was always prominent in the mix, perhaps in part because Guercio was a bassist.

Currently, Peter’s bass collection features his ’64 P-Bass (now white), a Lake Placid Blue ’65 Jazz Bass, his ’64 Hofner Beatle Bass, a ’65 Vox Constellation IV bass, and a Tune Bass Maniac. Most are strung with La Bella flatwounds. He borrowed Nashville session ace Mike Brignardello’s P-Bass to record the track on his Christmas CD, and he’s expecting his McPherson acoustic bass guitar in time for his December tour. His picks are Fender mediums.

I'll add that he also used a Steinberger L2 when they fiorst came out in 1982.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Back when I was starting to play bass in the early 70s, I was in a 3 piece band and we did an entire set of Chicago songs live as a 3 piece; so, Peter Cetera was definitely an influence on me early in my bass playing. We did not care that we did not have horns and keyboards, we just loved their music and wanted to play it (albeit not all that well since we were just starting out). As a bonus, I got to see them live in my hometown in 1971.

bobyoung53 and 47th Street like this.
  16. RexNFX79

RexNFX79

Jan 12, 2009
    TENNESSEE
    Cetera and Kath are soooooo underrated. You hardly ever hear them getting their due praise (apparently except on here). I think the 80's pop power ballad stuff ended up overshadowing the really great music they made early on.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Busted out the Bass Player with Cetera on the cover...December 2007?!?! Damn.

Anyway, in the article, it is mentioned that Rhino was planning on releasing Live In Japan on DVD...in January (I assume 2008).
    Anyone know what happened?

18. listen to i'm a man, Liberation, 25 or 6 to 4....just phenomenal stuff.

those 3 absolutely MADE early Chicago, and the horns really helped, but did not dominate.

CHICAGO TRANSIT AUTHORITY is in my top 5 albums of all time list.

davesignatureII-1.png

47th Street likes this.
  19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I found Danny Seraphine's autobiography in a used book store this past winter. Anyone who's really into Chicago should give it a read. It's pretty interesting.

He doesn't really say more or less about Cetera than he does about any of the other band members, and you get the feeling from the book that he never had a particularly strong personal bond with him... but he does say that Cetera hasn't gotten his due for what he brought to the band on bass.

20. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021