Peter Cetera

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by GM60466, Apr 26, 2012.

1. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Nice link...those were the daze.
    ;)

2. thmsjordan

thmsjordan

Jan 10, 2010
    Eschew Obfuscation
    I thought he advertised for Kustom Amps..??...

He also advertised for Gibson basses. Imagine my surprise when my Grabber didn't sound like his Precision....My current Precision does though

47th Street likes this.
  3. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

He used Sound City rigs quite often.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A local guy that played in an early '70s horn band used a Sound City cab (1X18).
    I bought my '64 P-bass from this same guy...test drove it through this cab.
    IIRC, this is the only time I have seen/heard of Sound City.

I'm gonna re-read that Cetera article; IIRC, he mentions what he used.
    He still has his early '60s Jazz Bass & P-Bass.
    On the cover of that Bass Player mag, he is playing a black Ric.

EDIT-
    Early on, Cetera sez he had a Danelectro Shorthorn (tuned exactly the same as a guitar's 4 lower strings...until a more experienced local bassist sat in & fixed it). ;) At that time, amp was an Ampeg fliptop.
    Looks like he still has a '64 Hofner, too (big fan of McCartney; also a fan of Willie Weeks & Jaco).
    I sorta recall seeing a Gibson Grabber or Ripper...though that bass may have belonged to Chicago's producer, Jim Guercio. I do recall seeing Guercio playing a natural wood Ripper on a '70s TV Special. His bass break was the same as Hamish Stuart's bass break on the live version of "Cut The Cake"; I recall that distinctly 'cause I really liked that bass break myself.

5. Ploonter

Ploonter Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Princeton, NJ
    Check out "Women Don't Want to Love Me" from "VI', I think. Damn he could/can play!
    He's why I started playing 30 some years ago! Pete was/is the man!

thmsjordan and 47th Street like this.
  6. Dave1974

Dave1974

Dec 21, 2012
    Peter Cetera is one of my favourite players, if I can play, One Good Woman or Glory of Love I will be a happy man.

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Oldie but goodie thread!

How did Cetera get that 'bouncy rubbery' tone on the early albums?

Mainly a P bass with (some tissue paper for dampening) , La Bella flats and a B15?

8. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Thinking so. Only so much “tone in the fingers” using a pick

9. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh

Apr 16, 2001
    ICT
    Incridible bassist. I played a review show years ago with a few of the older Chicago stuff and it was always a joy to play those classic lines.

10. ghostinthemach

ghostinthemach Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    I was surprised to see a vid on YouTube recently with PC playing a Gibson EB bass and had the same cool tone tone that I’d always heard from his unfinished early P-bass. Also seemed to be using some sort of tube head and stack.
    I can get real close to his early tone using my ‘68 EB-3 into any of my vintage Acoustic amps. He used Acoustic more often than anything else from my research.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    bobyoung53 and 47th Street like this.
  11. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    What about the dampening under the strings?

12. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    Havent seen that yet, but I’ve been experimenting with various materials and it does seem he could have used something, based on my results.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  13. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Im doing the same...i have 2 P bass, one with flats one with rounds...im not hearing the clank of rounds on the early Chicago but maybe its the dampening that plays a role.

How much pick playing vs. finger style is another issue.

14. ghostinthemach

Apr 3, 2011
    Brea CA
    I caught a glimpse of flats in a video today (tell tail surface reflection w/flats) and I definitely hear a pick with PC.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just watched part of the Terry Kath Experience last night.....a documentary of his life and early Chicago and CTA done by his daughter. Riveting stuff. There is some good live footage. Man, CTA killed it. That was a smoking band. Terry and Peter just rolled off of each other both vocally and instrumentally. Several comments were made during the documentary about how amazing it would have been to see Terry, Peter and Danny as a power trio. That would have been something right there.

Find it if you can. I'm only halfway through and it is great.

Ghostinthemach and bobyoung53 like this.
  16. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    I watched that doc this past summer. Really well done and interesting story.
    Terry Kath is one of those players I mention anytime a younger guy asks for a recommendation.

Those early Chicago days - I watch the Tanglewood show often.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Link?!?!

I just bought Chicago-Beginnings...it's from 1970; much of this in YT.

Amazon is also selling More Than Ever- The History Of Chicago.
    Amazon & other sites say "Made On Demand".
    Any comments before I buy?

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...just picked up Terry's Last Stand, a 2-cd set from 1977 (Nassau Colosseum).

19. Thuddy Waters

Thuddy Waters

Mar 20, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Et Cetera

20. He's playing an EB-3 with his fingers in this clip, I didn't know he ever did. I have mostly seen him with an acoustic amp too, 360, 370? The big ones with the 18" speaker. I've always loved his playing too and wished that I was better with a pick every time I hear him.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    DavidEdenAria likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021