Peter Gabriel in Montreal

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mark Reccord, Dec 2, 2002.

1. I went to Montreal this weekend to see Peter Gabriel and all I can say is WOW! What a phenomenal show. Everything was amazing. It was probably the best concert sound I've ever heard. I'm pretty critical (occupational hazard I guess:D) The mix was immaculate throughout the arena (I know some people, they let me wander). The PA company's engineers as well as Gabriel's engineer did a spectacular job. It's nice to hear a good mix, I get so disappointed sometimes. For instance the sound for RUSH in the same building was bloody atrocious.

The band was amazing of course. Tony Levin, well....... Absolutely amazing. I can understand why Peter Gabriel called him the best bass player on earth. Such an amazing sense of rhythm and music. He played an orange SR5, some upright and a couple of songs on the Stick. Ged Lynch is an incredible drummer as well. Very different from Manu Katche, but I thought it suited the music a bit better. The music was amazing. I nearly wept in "Sky Blue."

The stage/set, lighting and visuals were totally amazing. The round stage in the center of the rink was really neat. The crew moved stuff around for almost every song and there were different set pieces dropped in at different times. He did a song in a giant inflatable hamster ball that he rolled around the stage! He nearly ran one of the guitarists over with it :D. All in all a great show. I think that even people who aren't Gabriel fans would enjoy it. If he comes near your town, go!

We also caught some smokin' jazz at a place called Charlie Biddle's after the show. Man, I love Montreal!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I saw the Cleveland show, and while I will agree with you that the sound was the best I have ever heard in an arena, I thought the visuals were a bit irritating for my tastes.

The problem with a round stage is that you need to look OUTWARD, not inward as they did. I got tired of looking at Tony Levin's back. Sure, he turned around some, but rarely. Also, having the stage hands come out in between EVERY song really got irritating, and broke up the energy of the show. Most of the time, the things they slid around didn't matter. Do you really think the effect was worth it to having the drummer play inside the little opaque greenhouse for only the first song, just so you can watch the stage hands tear it down for two minutes before the second song started? I though that part was ridiculous. It distrated from the music too much for me.

All griping aside, I think it was a must-see show that was well-worth the $90 ticket price.